Urban Forestry Worker I & II – City of Southfield
Location: Southfield, MI
Deadline: October 27, 2017
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Urban Forestry Worker I, Highway Division/Public Works Department
SALARY RANGE: AFSCME Grade: H-40 (salary range: $18.11 - $22.20 per hour) Excellent benefit package, including medical, dental, vision, defined benefit pension; holidays, vacation, and more.
- Will operate trucks, tools and equipment to perform the following tasks: Tree pruning, tree removal, stump grinding, planting, brush chipping, watering, mulching, tree decorating, and snow plowing.
- Climb trees 10’- 60’ tall with ANSI approved, saddle, climbing line, associated hardware, PPE and techniques.
- Install special event and holiday banners, holiday decorations, flags, and associated hardware on utility poles.
- Landscape maintenance of lawns, shrubs, flowers, mulched beds, ornamental trees and irrigation.
- Will do tree evaluations and inventory, equipment maintenance, litter pick up, operate hedge shears, weed whips, mowers, blowers, brush disk, club carts, and various landscape hand tools.
- Adheres to all safety standards for the operation and maintenance of all City owned equipment.
- Hauls various materials and picks up refuse including dirt, debris, trash and dead animals. Other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent with (2) years’ full time experience in Arboriculture Landscape Maintenance. A strong Horticulture back ground or Landscape knowledge is preferred.
- Knowledgeable and proficient with the American National Safety Institute (ANSI) standards.
- Ability to safely perform work assignments with the guidance of the Crew Leader
- Considerable knowledge of methods, materials and equipment used in removing, trimming and caring for trees; Mechanical aptitude and knowledge of the safe operation and maintenance of various trucks, power driven equipment and hand tools.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and work independently.
- Ability to perform outdoor manual labor under all weather conditions. Requires moderate to heavy lifting and carrying.
- Mandatory overtime including the ability to answer return to work emergency tree calls requested by Police Dispatch or Forestry Supervisor (holidays, nights and weekends)
- Ability to climb and work effectively at considerable heights and to perform essential functions of this position.
- Special consideration given to Certified Pesticide Applicator with 3-A Turf Grass, 3b Ornamentals & 6 right of way.
- Must possess a valid Michigan driver’s license with a good driving record and possess a Commercial Driver’s License with Class B (with air brakes) endorsement upon hire or within 6 months of appointment. Employees who fail to obtain CDL as stated will be subject to termination.
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with co-workers; positive public-service attitude
- Ability to perform clerical duties including, producing legible reports, learn procedures, and follow complex directions.
The selection process will include a review of the applicant’s experience for posted requirements, driving record and criminal history check, a skills test and an oral board interview. Each step of the process must be passed before the applicant will be moved to the next step. Applicants will be invited to further participate in the selection process based on the nature and extent of their related experience, training, and/or certification.
APPLY AT: City of Southfield, Human Resources Department, 26000 Evergreen, Southfield MI 48076 Applications may also be downloaded from www.cityofsouthfield.com.
City of Southfield Application Packet must Be Received in the Human Resources Department no later than 5:00 P.M. Friday, October 27, 2017
Current AFSCME 329 members who wish to be considered for this position must apply by 5:00 P.M. October 10, 2017