Urban Forestry Intern AND Forestry Maintenance Laborer Positions
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Deadline: June 1, 2014
Urban Forestry Intern
- First-hand invasive pest management (Emerald Ash Borer)
- Performs ash tree removal evaluations
- Assists with ash tree treatment program
- Participates in contacting and disseminating information to citizens
- Assists in forestry work, research projects, and community-based urban forestry programs
- Performs tree maintenance tasks (inspecting, watering, pruning, and mulching)
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Current enrollment in a two- or four-year college-level Arboriculture, Urban Forestry, Forestry, Horticulture, Landscape Architecture or closely related Natural Resources program at an accredited college or university.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout emplyment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ablities Required:
- Ability to identify and assess a variety of tree species and common insect pests and disease. Completion of at least one dendrology course and course work in tree or forest health is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of and ability to proficiently use computer applications, including Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of geographic information systems is desirable.
- Ability to work well both independently and as member of a team, and ability to take direction.
- Customer service skills. Interacting with city residents in a courteous and helpful manner.
- Ability to keep accurate records, and manage and organize data.
- Physical abality to work outdoors and withstand a wide range of weather conditions.
- Ability to perform work in a safe manner and safeguard City equipment.
Current Pay Range:
$9.00 to $12.00 per hour depending on qualifications
The normal work week is Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week with flexible scheduling aviable. The internship runs from May through August 2014. It is possible the internship period may be extended if the needs of teh City and the applicant coincide.
Maintenance Labor -Forestry
06/01/14 12:39 PM
Nature of Work:
- This seasonal position will assist in forestry work including but not limited to tree watering, pruning, mulching, and brush chipping. Work is performed under the guidance of a designated supervisor, with some independence in work routine.
- Shift hours and length: 7 am-3:30 pm from April through September
Other Necessary Requirements:
- Possession of a valid Michigan driver’s license.
- Ability to pass physical/drug screen/background check.
- Physical ability to work outdoors and withstand a wide range of weather conditions.
- Experience working on a tree crew is preferred.
- Applicants for this position are accepted continually and are held for 6 months for future vacancies and/or opportunities.
- Must wear work boots (steel-toed is not necessary) and pants. PPE will be provided (hardhat, safety glasses, earplugs, and safety vest).
Applicants May Be Filed Online At:
300 Monroe Ave, NW
8th Floor, Room 880
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2206
(616) 456- 3656