Urban Forestry Intern
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Deadline: May 31, 2017
SYSTEMS PLANNING TEMP I - URBAN FORESTRY Starting Hourly Rate: $12.89
Nature of Work: Provide administrative and field support to the City’s urban forestry program under the guidance of the Urban Forestry and Natural Resources Planning Coordinator and the Field Operations Forestry Supervisor.
The intern will perform tasks including, but not limited to:
- Updating GIS tree inventory
- Assisting in resident tree service request investigations
- Implementing recommendations from the City’s Urban and Community Forest Management plan
- Assisting with tree care activities, which may include, tree watering, tree planting, raking, pulling brush, brush clean-up and small tree trimming
- Develop outreach materials
- Assisting with Citizen Pruner program
- Current enrollment in a two-or four-year college-level forestry, horticulture, landscape architecture, natural resource management or closely related program.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office programs, as well as general computer skills
- Ability to take instructions; work in a team environment and serve the public.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license. Must have the ability to safely operate a motor vehicle as he/she may be required to drive a vehicle for local travel.
- Experience working with ArcMap/Geographic Information System (GIS) experience
- Ability to identity tree species.
Physical Requirements: Driving, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, seeing and repetitive motions.
This work involves the ability to perform occasional lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.
Work Schedule: Seasonal Job: May August. 40 hours per week. Some weekend or evening hours may be required.