Urban Forest Manager (3303)
Location: Takoma Park, MD
Deadline: December 31, 2016
The City of Takoma Park is a great place to work. The City offers an excellent benefits package. We are proud to be a workforce of almost 200 full-time and part-time employees that are as diverse as the community we serve. We strive to maintain excellent customer service and responsiveness to our residents and everyone we work with. It is with this in mind that we seek to improve by championing quality and efficiency through a dedicated workforce and cooperative spirit.
The City of Takoma Park seeks an Urban Forest Manager to provide specialized duties related to the City’s tree ordinance, administration of tree removals and tree protection permit processes, and management of the City’s urban forest programs on public space. The incumbent will use their expertise to serve as a City liaison to the City’s Tree Commission and use tact, discretion, initiative and independent judgement in completion of responsibilities. This position is subject to membership in the AFSCME union.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Manages numerous City programs and annual events including the following - Invasive Plant Management Program, Urban Forest Program, Annual Tree Planting Program, and the Annual Arbor Day Event.
- Contracts and monitors the work of tree care companies working on behalf of the City
- Oversees utility work performed in the City including its impact on trees located on public and private property, compliance with the Tree Ordinance, and Utility Memorandum of Understanding (MOU’s)
- Monitors private construction to ensure compliance
- Drafts public information regarding tree care for the City website and newsletter
- Maintains and updates the City’s Tree Inventory
- Manages municipal infraction processes for tree violations
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a or other relevant field
- One to three years of progressive, responsible and relevant Arborist experience; or
- Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job
In addition to these qualifications listed above, highly competitive candidates will have:
- Certification from the International Society of Arboriculture in tree hazard evaluation
- Direct experience in thoroughly understanding the work of subordinates to be able to answer questions and resolve problems
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a Maryland Tree Expert License
The starting salary for the position is competitive and commensurate with experience. The City offers an excellent benefits program including participation in the Maryland State Retirement program, 457(b), employer paid insurance for single coverage and 80% for dependent coverage, tuition reimbursement and much more.
The City of Takoma Park is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer.
We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply.