Seasonal Worker - Nursery
Location: Cleveland, OH
Deadline: May 31, 2017
Seasonal Worker - Nursery (Arboretum - 2017)
Position Title: Seasonal Worker
Department: Horticulture & Conservation – Nursery 010688
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum & Cleveland Botanical Garden) is recruiting full and part time workers to perform propagation, plant care and monitoring of nursery stock. We will begin staffing this position for a period of four-(4) to eight-(8) months depending on the growing season and project needs. This person will assist the nursery staff in all aspects of greenhouse and nursery plant care.
- Nursery Supervisor
- Works with horticulturists
- Works with volunteers
- The Holden Arboretum – Kirtland, Ohio – less than 30 miles east of Cleveland.
- Encompassing more than 3,600 acres of cultivated gardens, woody plant collections and natural forested areas
- Holden Forests and Gardens is 12th largest public garden in the U.S. It is comprised of two campuses, Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Arboretum.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
- Propagation by seed and cuttings
- Soil mixing
- Pest control
- Irrigation system maintenance
- Strong customer service skills and experience working with the general public
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to work within a team, as well as independently
- Experienced grower / propagators preferred
- Good interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Speak, write and understand English
- Must pass a criminal background check and substance screening
- Acceptable driving record (3 points or less)
- Basic greenhouse and nursery skills.
- Application of herbicides and pesticides.
- Safe operation and routine maintenance of power equipment.
Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation
- Stand and/or sit for extended periods of time
- Effective vision and hearing
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Walk and work on wet, uneven, slippery terrain
- Regular lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Kneeling, bending, stooping, grabbing and reaching
- Climb, reach, pull, push, grab
- Work outdoors in temperature ranges typical for Northeast Ohio
- Work in and around poison ivy, poison sumac, water, mud, brush and stinging insects
- March through October or November (Flexible starting & ending dates)
- Seven days per week operation
- Full time or part time
- Approximately 16 – 40 hours per week
- Candidates with no or minimal experience start at $9.00
- Candidates with relevant experience start at $10.00 and up
- Thirty-(30) and sixty-(60) day performance appraisals
Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume online:
This position will be employed through a staffing agency service.
Posting Date: January 2017
Closing Date: Until filled
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.