Seasonal Worker - Horticulture Gardeners
Location: Cleveland, OH
Deadline: July 31, 2017
Seasonal Worker - Horticulture Gardeners (arboretum - 2017)
Position Title: Seasonal Worker
Department: Horticulture & Conservation
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum & Cleveland Botanical Garden) is recruiting people to perform hands-on work in our gardens. We will begin staffing these positions for a period of three-(3) to seven-(7) months (starting in April depending on the growing season and project needs.) Positions are full time working Monday – Friday, 7:00 am- 3:30 pm.
- Lead Horticulturist
- Works with horticulturists
- Works with volunteers
- The Holden Arboretum – Kirtland, Ohio – less than 30 miles east of Cleveland.
- Encompassing more than 3,600 acres of cultivated gardens, woody plant collections and natural forested areas
- The Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden recently integrated, making the organization the 13th largest public garden in the U.S.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
- Planting and maintaining a variety of woody and herbaceous plants
- Pruning, deadheading and weeding
- Applying mulch and soil amendments
- Transplanting, dividing perennials, watering and fertilizing
- Hauling brush, mowing and raking
- Pest control
- Operating and performing routine maintenance on power equipment
- Strong customer service skills and experience working with the general public.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work within a team, as well as independently.
- Experienced gardeners preferred.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Speak, write and understand English
- Must pass a criminal background check and substance screening
- Acceptable driving record (3 points or less)
- Experience in the operation of stick shift vehicles and other machinery (Cushman, tractor, chippers, mowers, weed eaters, sprayers, pick up trucks, etc.) a plus.
- Use of hand pruners, loppers, hand saws and backpack sprayers
Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation
- Stand and/or sit for extended periods of time
- Effective vision and hearing
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Walk and work on wet, uneven, slippery terrain
- Regular lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
- Kneeling, bending, stooping, grabbing and reaching
- Climb, reach, pull, push, grab
- Work outdoors in temperature ranges typical for Northeast Ohio
- Work in and around poison ivy, poison sumac, water, mud, brush and stinging insects
- April through October (Flexible starting & ending dates)
- Five days per week, Monday-Friday, 7am to 3:30pm
- Approximately 40 hours per week
- Candidates with no or minimal experience start at $8.15
- Candidates with relevant experience start at $8.50 and up
- Thirty-(30) and sixty-(60) day performance appraisals
- Opportunity (not guaranteed) for up to a dollar increase after sixty-(60) days
Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume online:
This position will be employed through a staffing agency service.
Posting Date: June 2017
Closing Date: Until filled
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.