Seasonal Landscape Worker
Location: Burton, MI
Deadline: May 31, 2017
SEASONAL LANDSCAPE WORKER
Genesee County Parks and Recreation Commission
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Performs a variety of horticultural maintenance and basic park maintenance; receives supervision from the horticulturist or higher classification, but is also expected to work under own initiative; performs work as required.
2017 Pay Rate: $8.90/hour
STATEMENT OF TASKS:
* Performs horticultural and grounds maintenance tasks including landscape construction, planting, watering, fertilizing, pruning, pest management, propagation, tree removal, chipping, composting and general lawn maintenance.
* Performs routine custodial work in arboretum buildings and grounds, including refuse and rubbish removal.
* Assists in minor remodeling and light carpentry, such as building trellises, benches, arbors and compost bins.
* Assists in development and maintenance of arboretum roads, trails, paths, fencing and signing.
* Monitors public activities to ensure adhearance to park policies/rules, including weddings and community events.
* Operates equipment associated with landscape operations including; pick-ups, dump trucks, trailers, utility vehicles, tractors, string trimmers, tillers, pushmowers, etc.
The tasks specified above are intended to be sufficient to identify the class and be illustrative of the many duties that may be assigned. It should not be interpreted to describe all of the duties an employee assigned to this class may be required to perform.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
* Ability to accept and follow oral and written instructions given by superior in charge.
* Ability to learn and apply basic horticultural maintenance and general maintenance practices.
* Ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships.
* Ability to correctly and safely operate and maintain arboretum equipment and tools.
* Ability to perform physical landscape work.
* Ability to read and write and being physically able to perform the work.
* Possession of a valid driver’s license.
* Must be willing to work weekends, holidays, and irregular hours when requested.
* Will be required to wear a prescribed work uniform.
* Must wear protective wear and safety gear when required.
* Must be courteous in dealing with the general public, supervisor, and fellow staff members.
* Must complete a CPR/First Aid certification course provided by Genesee County or provide proof of current certifications.
* Will be required to routinely lift and carry in excess of 40 pounds.
UNIFORM REQUIREMENTS AND REIMBURSEMENTS:
Applicant will be required to purchase OSHA approved safety-toed shoes/boots prior to beginning employment. After the first forty (40) hours of employment, the employee will receive $50.00 towards the cost of the required safety-toed shoes/boots, during the first season of employment only. Two (2) uniform shirts will be provided, additional shirts may be purchased.
NOTICE: A work permit must be supplied by anyone under 18 years of age. They may be obtained at your High School or former High School.