Seasonal Farm Worker
Location: Flint, MI
Deadline: May 31, 2017
Seasonal Worker – EmFlower Farm Associate Position
EmFlower seeks to provide a training program and stipend to build job skills, inspire confidence, and promote financial stability among women from underserved communities and those who have experienced domestic abuse or sexual assault.
EmFlower has partnered with community resources to provide career and financial literacy training to cohort participants, in addition to an eight-week work program that allows participants to gain valuable vocational and agricultural skills. This seasonal full-time position requires a high-energy, flexible individual who will be an integral member of the EmFlower team.
This person will assist with the day-to-day operation of the small EmFlower Farm, including planting, maintenance and harvesting, and the overall education and management of EmFlower Farmship Participants.
* Reports to the CEO of the YWCA and EmFlower Manager
* Works with YWCA Staff
* Works with Community Members and Bouquet Shares
* Works with Volunteers
* EmFlower, Flint, MI
* Located in the City of Flint
* Under the direction of the Farm Managers, assist with daily field operations, supervising EmFlower Farmship participants activities and leading the crew in the performance of general farm maintenance tasks including, but not limited to, planting; pruning; watering; weeding; mulching; fertilizing.
* Work with Farm Managers to build and maintain positive relationships with each EmFlower Farmship Participant.
* Build and maintain a healthy, safe, and supportive work and learning environment within the EmFlower Farm.
* Communicate positively and effectively with participants and EmFlower neighbors and community members.
* Lead volunteer groups, tours, and community programming on the EmFlower Farm.
* Assist with managing Bouquet Share program and assist in training farmship participants on proper procedures.
* Assist with planning and carrying out EmFlower community events, open house and special events.
* Provide feedback to improve and grow EmFlower
* Perform other duties as assigned. Qualifications
* Must have High School Diploma/GED and be at least l8 years old
* Obtainment or work toward an Associate or Bachelor degree in biology, agriculture, education or a related area and/or relevant experience or background required
* Previous work in a similar education farm preferred but not necessary
* Proven ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds, as well as excellent communications skills in a positive, team-player environment is essential
* Extensive staff training provided on teaching skills and gardening/agriculture.
* Ability to lift 50 lbs. and work outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
* Sitting, standing, kneeling and bending on uneven work surfaces.
* Must pass a criminal background check / drug test.
* Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required
* May through October
* Flexible start date in May; flexible hours in the Fall
* Approximately 25-35 hours per week
Wages: $10 per hour Apply Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Heidi McAra | CEO
T: 810.238.7621 ext. 313