Quality Laboratory Intern
Location: Howell, MI
Deadline: September 30, 2016
My name is Brooke Merrill, a laboratory technician at Koppert Biological Systems. We are currently looking for an intern in our Quality and R&D Laboratory. We are located in Howell, MI were we are a production facility for bumblebees. If your students have any interest in working with pollination services, this would be a great opportunity for them.
I have attached the position description, if you would like to send the availability out to your students. In addition to the preferences within the description, we are also looking for someone who would be available to work Mondays.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
1502 Old US-23
Howell, MI 48843
Lab e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Company website: www.koppert.com
Koppert’s mission statement is to be the most preferred partner in developing and marketing pollination systems and integrated pest management for protected and high-value crops, by being a reliable provider of innovative, effective and top-quality solutions.
Koppert Biological Systems, Inc. is the U.S. based subsidiary of the Dutch company Koppert Biological Systems BV, established in The Netherlands. We are an international market leader in biological crop protection and natural pollination. Since 1967, Koppert has been involved in the development and production of a diverse array of biological control products including beneficial insects, mites, nematodes, and more recently soil microbes. In addition to offering these products to customers, Koppert provides support to the end user before, during and after the actual application of products through technical information and field based consultation.
The Quality/Research and Development Lab at Koppert has split focus on quality control, insect husbandry/rearing, research and outreach. The mission of the lab is to provide support to customer service and production staff at all North American subsidiaries to ensure the highest quality pollination and biological control products.
Quality Laboratory Intern: This is an entry level position. The employee works in a learning capacity while performing a range of laboratory technician assignments under close supervision.
Individual should have a positive attitude, be well organized, detail-oriented, reliable, self-directed, motivated and someone who is able to respond to the ever-changing needs of a science laboratory.
Under the direction of the Quality Supervisor, this individual will:
- Configure and operate laboratory apparatus and instruments such as stereo microscopes, compound microscopes, pipettes, balance, and molecular biology equipment.
- Maintain functional equipment by following operating instructions, troubleshooting breakdowns, performing preventive maintenance, calibration and repairs.
- Conduct general lab maintenance, including cleaning, making lab solutions, and disinfecting materials
- Conduct microbiology lab tasks of creating slides of tissue culture extracting DNA, and conducting PCR analyses.
- Perform basic laboratory and investigative procedures that involve collecting, recording, organizing, and verifying the accuracy of data
- Perform calculations, prepare charts, graphs, and reports for review and sharing of data.
- Setup and maintain detailed laboratory records.
- Assist the Quality Supervisor and other technicians in conducting experiments as needed.
- Read, interpret and summarize literature related to pollinators and biological control agents.
- Perform routine quality control sampling of bumble bee and biological control products to monitor the adherence of environmental, microbiological, and/or health guidelines.
Position Qualifications - Required
Education/Experience: Working on a Bachelor’s degree (B.S./B.A.) in biological science, from an accredited four-year college or university.
Communication Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general scientific research and technical procedures. Ability to write scientific reports, business
correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients,
customers, and the general public.
Computer Skills: Ability to create documents using Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word, and Power Point presentations. Use Microsoft Outlook for
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid
geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Analytical Skills: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions
in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables; statistical analysis skills are necessary.