Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Deadline: October 31, 2017
Forest Hills Public Schools
Grand Rapids, Michigan
JOB TITLE: Lead Grounds
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
PAY GRADE: Per current Master Agreement
JOB SUMMARY - The Lead Grounds person is responsible for providing the necessary leadership to keep assigned property clean, safe, functional, and secure in accordance with prescribed codes and established District policies and standards. The position is responsible for keeping all district buildings, athletic fields, turf areas, parking facilities, outdoor lighting, landscaping, outdoor equipment, and playgrounds in a condition of operating excellence for full educational use at all times.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS - Essential functions under the Americans with Disabilities Act may include any of the following duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by employees in this position. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job. Other essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Recommend changes in personnel and equipment, as necessary.
- Work closely with Grounds crew, Head Custodians, Lead Maintenance and Director of Operations to prepare for scheduled and unscheduled activities.
- Work closely with Grounds crew to maintain high standards of turf/grounds management and supervises temporary employees (summer workers).
- Assist in the orientation and training of new employees.
- Assist with off-hour emergency calls as needed 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.
- Adjust shift time seasonally and on an as-needed basis to address weather related issues (snow, ice, flooding, etc.).
- Assign and schedule regular and extra duty time for grounds crew. • Solicit, analyze and coordinate contracted services.
- Assist in areas of district-wide compliance (storm-water system maintenance, pesticide/fertilizer applications, etc.). Revised on 10/16/15 Lead Grounds
- Operate heavy equipment, mechanical lawn equipment, and hand tools.
- Install and perform repairs to equipment and/or report need for grounds-related repairs to Director of Operations.
- Maintain grounds, athletic fields, and playground equipment.
- Perform all duties and procedures within health safety standards as per OSHA and/or MIOSHA.
- Interact with co-workers, other departments, administration, staff, students, parents, and the community in a positive, supportive, and cooperative way.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Operations.
- Leadership, knowledge, skills and experience necessary to complete work in an efficient manner.
- Ability to supervise and run the Grounds department with minimal supervision as well as operate, maintain, and make adjustments to various types of equipment as needed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, and community.
- Ability to effectively communicate in both written and spoken English language.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Prior experience in landscape management.
- Ability to accept and learn new processes or techniques.
- Ability to operate computer equipment and software to utilize email, work order, word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Ability to read and interpret construction documents.
- Possess a valid Michigan driver’s license, CDL license and a good driving record.
ADA REQUIREMENTS - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, and talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to sit.
- Frequently drive vehicles for long periods.
- Frequently squat, stoop or kneel, reach above the head and reach forward.
- Continuously use hand strength to grasp tools and climb onto ladders.
- Frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk while performing the duties of this job.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 40 pounds for items such as salt, furniture, and supplies.
- Occasionally push/pull items such as tables, bleachers, scrubbing machines, etc.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Revised on 10/16/15 Lead Grounds