Landscape Project Manager
Location: North Chicago, IL
Deadline: January 22, 2015
Chalet’s Landscape Division in North Chicago, IL has an opportunity for a Landscape Project Manager to join one of our design teams. This position reports to a Senior Landscape Architect who serves as the Team Leader. The Project Manager will partner with the balance of the team (Landscape Architects, Construction Supervisor, and crews) to serve as the liaison to our customer in ensuring that we exceed their quality and service expectations for their landscape construction project.
Supervise Landscape Construction Projects
Work with team to schedule and coordinate projects and timelines. Communicate at the highest level with customers and team members throughout the entire project. Determine labor, material, and equipment needs. Layout site from landscape plan. Create, read, and implement construction details. Oversee quality of work and adherence to plans. Recommend modifications based on field conditions. Coordinate change orders. Permitting and coordinating with villages. Manage subcontractors. Meet with village inspectors. Track punch lists to ensure all tasks are completed. Monitor time and materials to adhere to budgets and deadlines. Build and maintain job files.
Manage, Train, & Develop Crews
Responsible for the safety, performance and well-being of foremen, leadmen, and laborers on our crews. Assign tasks to crews. Approve daily time tickets. Work to maximize efficiencies and productivity. Provide training and constructive feedback. Embody leadership and hands-on training philosophies, demonstrating a strong work ethic through leading by example. Enforce company policies as necessary.
Support of Team
- Based on the needs of the team, will also assist with sales efforts, design, training, committee work, quality assurance, research, and/or documentation.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience in landscape construction, landscape design/build, landscape architecture, residential project management, installation management, site supervision, or construction management. Experience in a variety of the following areas is ideal: hardscaping techniques, carpentry, masonry, lighting, irrigation, planting, large and small equipment operation, estimating, sales, and/or horticulture.
- Experience supervising crews, managing projects, and pulling permits.
- A degree in Landscape Architecture/Construction/Design, or equivalent experience.
- A proactive and rational problem-solver with a can-do attitude who has proven to partner their technical knowledge with their excellent communication skills to actively listen to customers and create solutions that meet customers’ needs and exceed their expectations.
- An outgoing and friendly personality with an ethical and trustworthy approach that will establish the foundation for long term customer relationships and foster collaboration among staff.
- “Fast-on-your-feet”, organized, accountable, and decisive, with the ability to juggle and manage multiple projects, multiple customers, and changing priorities. A gift for balancing the big picture with all of the details along the way.
- A lavish communicator who utilizes the most appropriate method for the message - - email, letters/memos, phone calls, face to face meetings. Bilingual Spanish is a plus.
- Ability to conduct a site survey, review construction documents & plat of surveys, and create hand drawn plans with a strong knowledge of the practicality of the outdoor built environment.\
- Computer literate. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Outlook). Experience using AutoCAD is a plus.
- Love the outdoors and be weather tolerant as this is a hands-on position throughout all season
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record and the ability to lift 80+ pounds.
Hours and Benefits
This is a full-time, year round position that will work 6 days in the busy season, and a 4 day work week in the off season. Benefits and compensation package including base salary, medical, dental, life and disability insurances, paid time off, holidays, and 401(k) with match.