Landscape Laboer I - Temp
Location: East Lansing, MI
Deadline: March 22, 2017
Basic Function and Responsibility
Provide labor assistance for Gardening staff on campus.
Working Hours and Days of the Week
April – November: 6:00am – 2:30pm (40hrs/wk), Monday – Friday
December – March *pending approval: 5:00am – 9:00am (20hrs/wk), Monday - Friday
*overtime may occur throughout the seasons pending authorization
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist support staff in work methods and processes related to landscape maintenance and installation of plant material.
- Cut weeds, brush, and grass using hand and power equipment. Ability to operate equipment used in landscape maintenance.
- Ability to apply herbicides and pesticides to landscape beds and lawns.
- Perform landscape installations including plant material, signage, site furniture, edging, and boulders.
- Assist with grading, digging, back filling, hauling, mowing, hoisting and loading operations with power driven equipment.
- Operate trucks including truck/trailer combinations for transporting equipment, implements, materials and supplies.
- Assist in the installation of irrigation systems.
- Assist in the grading, seeding and sodding of lawn areas.
- Assist in the transplanting and moving of trees, shrubs, flowers and other plant material.
- Ability to send/receive emails.
- Operate and perform regular maintenance to light and medium weight vehicles, such as daily oil checks, grease fittings, and tire pressure checks.
- Maintain and install erosion control devices .
- Perform manual labor to include shoveling and raking .
Perform related duties as assigned including but not necessarily related to :
- Erect and maintain street and pedestrian barricades, warning signs, fences and gates.
- Work with and assist other Landscape Services Department crews when necessary .
- Participate in football tailgate clean up.
Supervision is received from a designated supervisor.
- One year experience performing bed maintenance and installation of landscape construction projects or an approved equivelant. Working knowledge and ability to use common hand.
- tools and power tools used in landscaping.
- Possession or attainment of a MSU forklift operator’s permit within 3 months of hire date.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic personal computer terminology and operations, and the ability to use e-mail and the Internet within 3 months.
- Possession or attainment of a valid Michigan Commercial Pesticide Applicator Certification in categories Turf (3A), Ornamental (3B), and Right of Way (6) within 6 months of hire date.
- Applicants must have a good driving record and submit their operator’s license number on their application form for a motor vehicle check.
- Must drive University vehicle to perform job duties of this classification .
- The ability to work in variable or severe weather conditions.
- This position requires significant after-hours, weekends and holiday work.
- Frequent lifting of over 75 pounds.
- Probationary rate(first 6 months) $16.37
- Job rate(After 6 month probationary period complete) $17.23
Job Posting Closes: March 22th @ 7:00 a.m. All interested applicants are required to submit resumes by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver to the Landscape Services Building @ 1060 Stadium Rd.-East Lansing, MI