Internship - Plant and Microbial Ecology
Location: Cleveland, OH
Deadline: May 31, 2017
Internship - Plant and Microbial Ecology (arboretum - 2017)
Position Title: Intern
Department: Research (03015)
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum & Cleveland Botanical Garden) has internship positions available in the Research department. This 12-week summer internship will provide you with an opportunity to work with scientists from Holden Arboretum studying the effects of environmental change on plants and forests of Northeast Ohio. Internships typically run from late May thru early August but timing is flexible.
- Reports to the Plant Biologist
- Works with Research Specialist
- Works with Research Chair
- Works with Volunteers
- The Holden Arboretum – Kirtland, Ohio – less than 30 miles east of Cleveland.
- Encompassing more than 3,600 acres of cultivated gardens, woody plant collections and natural forested areas
- Holden Forests and Gardens is 12th largest public garden in the U.S. It is comprised of two campuses, Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Arboretum.
- Assisting in soil and plant sampling
- Plant data collection
- Extracting, amplifying, and analyzing DNA from soils and roots.
- Performs other activities as required
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Degree focus should be in related area of study
- Demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in related field.
- Applicants must have their own transportation
- Excellent ability to communicate and interact with the general public.
- Ability to effectively solve medium to complex problems
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks
- Highly skilled at speaking, writing and understanding the English language
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- Must pass a criminal background check, credit and substance screening
Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Stand and/or sit for extended periods of time
- Transport oneself by foot over a variety of terrain that may be wet, slippery, uneven or rocky
- Regular lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
- Kneeling, bending, stooping, grabbing and reaching
- Effective vision and hearing
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Some outside work is required (in all weather conditions)
- Typically, May thru early August (flexible)
- Monday-Friday (Five days per week)
- 12-week summer internship
- Approximately 40 hours per week
- Hourly, non-exempt position
- On-site housing available
Wages: $11.00 per hour
- Gain practical, hands-on experience.
- Field trips to public and commercial facilities, relevant local training, meetings, etc.
- Attend Holden classes and programs for free (unless materials fee applies).
- Holden provides housing on site for a nominal charge ($30 weekly).
- Intern is responsible for obtaining transportation.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Persons with knowledge of or interest in ecology, microbiology, or plant biology are encouraged to apply. Applicants should send a letter of interest, a resume that discusses your prior experience, and two references.
Applicants should also indicate their primary research interest. Holden research staff and a description of their respective programs can be found at http://holdenarb.org/education/research-staff.asp. Questions concerning the internships can be addressed to Dr. David Burke (email@example.com).
Qualified applicants should submit a resume online:
Posting Date: January 2017
Closing Date: Until Filled
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.