Location: Riley, MI
Deadline: March 1, 2014
We are a dual 1 acre urban farm in North Corktown Detroit and 6 acre rural farm in Riley Michigan where our primary crop is salad mix which we sell at 3 farmer’s markets and to local restaurants but we also have a small 30 person CSA.
The Bro. Nature Farm is looking for 2 future farmers to be interns for April-June and another for August-October or 1 intern from April-October of 2014.
This is a paid internship where living expenses (room, utilities, food, wireless, laundry…) are free and $400 is paid out at the end of each month, housing is at the urban farm.
An average work day is about 7 hours per day, 5 days a week.
- Bed preparation on fallow land in urban areas
- Harvesting salad, herbs, and vegetables
Work is similar to the MSU Student Organic Farm Interns will learn how to:
- manage a 1 acre urban salad farm
- make large scale compost piles
- creating and maintaining soil fertility
- help to make and market value added products for our farmer’s market sales season extension practices
- propagation of herbs and fruit CSA marketing and management
- small scale poultry raising and herd dog training
- get plugged in to the urban farming network which ranges from profitable full time bee keepers to locavore restauranteurs to food security activists
- and more.
Our interns must:
- Be excited , passionate & interested in changing the food system / starting their own farm strong, agile and hardworking
- self motivated and able to work alone
- clean and tidy
- get along well others and with dogs
If you are interested please contact Greg Willerer at email@example.com