Hydroponic Systems Manager
Location: Northfield, WI
Deadline: August 31, 2016
Superior Fresh will be an industry-leading aquaponics facility specializing in leafy greens and coldwater fish species. Our Northfield, WI facility is situated on a 720-acre Native Restoration Sanctuary nestled in the picturesque Coulee Region of Western Wisconsin. Our flagship aquaponics facility will be the largest in the world, filled with the best equipment and technology. We plan to raise premium Atlantic salmon and Steelhead trout in a state-of-the-art land based recirculation aquaculture facility in conjunction with premium, organic produce grown in an ultramodern hydroponics glass greenhouse. At Superior Fresh, we will produce the freshest product available year-round, all while maintaining a water sustaining zero-discharge facility.
The Hydroponic Systems Manager will be responsible for the daily production of any and all vegetables produced in a three-acre hydroponic greenhouse. The daily duties will consist of setting up seedling beds, planting seeds, transplanting seedlings to grow beds, and harvesting and packaging plants. All operations will be done in accordance with the company HACCP and food safety plans, strict biosecurity measures, and standard operating procedures. Along with the daily duties mentioned above, the Hydroponic Systems Manager will be responsible for all record keeping within the greenhouse, including but not limited to, plant and harvest data, water quality data, and water use data.
This section describes the primary /essential responsibilities that this job performs.
- Make employment decisions and/or recommendations on hiring, improvement plans, transfers, promotions, corrective actions, terminations, pay adjustments, etc.
- Coordinate and manage the work of employees by directing members of the team to meet goals. Internally audit regularly to ensure standard operating procedures are being adhered to.
- Manage employee performance and assist employees in making improvements to their performance through coaching, mentoring, and administering performance reviews. Recommend, plan, and/or implement employee training and skill development activities.
- Maintain and update operating and training manuals and ensure that all hydroponic staff are trained on the most updated version of the operating procedures.
- Communicate regularly with all other facility managers, both individually and as a group, to ensure good communication with team.
- Follow daily, weekly, monthly, and as-needed checklists for routine system maintenance.
- Plan and assist with cleaning and general maintenance associated with the entire aquaponics system.
- Develop and impose standard operating procedures related to all hydroponic processes.
- Record daily data and other pertinent information in digital/written form in accordance with company standard operating procedures.
- Analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Continually update Operations Manager on new technologies, new equipment, and new processes that improve business operations.
- Initiate and carry out projects that improve efficiency and/or reduce operating costs.
- Create and monitor department budgets with Operations Manager.
- Develop and implement pest control plan.
- Develop employee training protocols.
- Plan and participate in plant seeding, transfer, and harvest throughout the hydroponics facility.
- Observe and assess seedling and grow-out plant conditions and remove moribund plants in a timely manner.
- Manage and record the water quality, along with the associated equipment used in such practices.
- Perform harvests in greenhouse facilities in accordance to company standard operating procedures.
This section describes the secondary responsibilities that this job performs.
- Maintain reliable attendance.
- Actively participate in meetings, training and education. Assist with training other employees and providing backup.
- Complete other assignments and special projects as requested.
- Bachelor degree in horticulture, biology or related field or equivalent work experience, Required
- 5+ years in greenhouse operation
Licenses or Certifications:
- None required. Preferred to have food safety, GAP, HACCP etc.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to encourage the building of mutual trust, respect and cooperation among team members.
- Ability to attend onsite and distant training seminars and classes to bring new ideas and practices to Superior Fresh LLC.
- Ability to delegate tasks effectively to proper individuals to ensure workload balance and proper job completion.
- Ability to plan and coordinate projects within confines of production, defined budgets, and deadlines.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously within established time constraints.
- Ability to perform under strong demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to set priorities and to work with minimal direction and supervision
- Proficient computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office
- Display empathy, understanding, and patience with employees and external customers.
- Respond professionally in situations with difficult employee/vendor/customer issues or inquiries.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn aquaculture practices that will directly affect and relate to the overall production of the entire aquaponics facility.
- Ability to create bio-plans and constantly strive to improve and increase production and minimize waste.
- General knowledge of the maintenance required for such facilities ranging from electrical, plumbing and and heating trades
- Working knowledge of techniques used for the production and culture of fish, leafy greens and fruiting vegetables
- Significant knowledge in water chemistry and strong understanding of equipment used to evaluate various water quality parameters.
- On-call with other employees to respond to system alarms.
- Willing to work sporadic hours
- Will include many weekends and holidays.
- Located in remote/rural environment.
Business Development Manager
Superior Fresh LLC.
N10512 May Coulee Rd
Hixton, WI 54635
C (507) 923-0729