Hunter Park Gardenhouse Internship
Location: Lansing, MI
Deadline: May 31, 2017
Hunter Park GardenHouse Internship
August 2016 - May 2017
The Hunter Park GardenHouse is project of Allen Neighborhood Center, a 501(c)(3) organization in Lansing, Michigan. The GardenHouse serves as a demonstration site and hub for year-round garden education. Neighbors volunteer to grow food, flowers, and community; and youth develop job and life skills in service to the neighborhood.
For eight years, the Hunter Park GardenHouse has empowered neighbors to grow, prepare, and eat healthy food to better their health and become more connected with the community. We are open 6 days a week, and offer a wide assortment of programs. GardenHouse volunteer shifts are held Monday-Friday, 10am-12pm & 5:30-7:30pm, Saturday 10am-12pm.
Allen Neighborhood Center’s Hunter Park GardenHouse is offering 2 unpaid internships this academic year.
This person will serve as the Hunter Park GardenHouse Intern who will:
- Serve as Hunter Park GardenHouse shift leader 1-2 times per week (guide-by-the-side with volunteers to plant, harvest, water, weed, etc., and engage with visitors).
- Document GardenHouse programs through social media (maintain Facebook page with photos & updates).
- Work with the GardenHouse Director to develop and implement GardenHouse projects (i.e. vermicomposting, crop planning, mushroom logs, educational workshops etc.).
- Commitment to serve 6-10 hours per week (August 2016- May 2017). Semester internships are also available.
- Desire and ability to engage with a diverse group of people, particularly those living in low-income distressed neighborhoods.
- Ability to function independently and in a team environment.
- Knowledge and experience in urban gardening.
- Familiarity with social media (Facebook) and basic photography.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
We are able to partner with academic institutions to provide this internship for college credit.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter and resume to Volunteer Coordinator: email@example.com or 517-999-3919.