Horticulturist – Japanese Garden
Location: Grand Rapids , MI
Deadline: January 8, 2018
Job Posting - Horticulturist – Japanese Garden
Position Posted: November 1, 2017
Post Until: Position filled
Position: Horticulturist – Japanese Garden
Supervisor: Horticulture Manager
Pay Type: Full time, Hourly, Non-exempt
Job Description: Specific to but not limited to the Richard & Helen DeVos Japanese Garden. Performs all duties associated with design, maintenance and care of the outdoor displays and collections. Duties are directly related to the design, installation and care of the collections, woody and herbaceous plant material and annual display crops. Seasonal designs, plant selection and ordering (as needed) and careful attention to accession record keeping and plant labeling are critical components of this position.
- Responsible for the care, maintenance and development of the Richard & Helen DeVos Japanese Garden & other areas as assigned.
- Performs a wide range of landscape/maintenance tasks important to the preservation, protection and transplanting of existing plants; including but not limited to soil preparation, planting, pruning, mulching, weeding, watering, fertilization, irrigation and pesticide application.
- Completes display designs, annual and perennial, on a regular basis, orders plants as needed for designs and oversees/performs the layout and installation of the designs.
- Ability to lead and direct the work of others to complete general projects, including other staff and volunteers is required.
- Oversees the day-to-day responsibilities of managing the landscape, maintenance issues and volunteer assignments.
- May be responsible for interacting with the media (TV, radio, newspaper etc), working with Public Relations to provide information about the horticultural content of their respective areas.
- Public Speaking and the ability to teach required.
- Performs “off-season” tasks (i.e., tree pruning, leaf pick-up, annual show set-ups, snow removal)
- In “winter” months, plows paths and roadways and shovels snow, reporting early and on weekends and holidays as needed. • Adherence to all health and safety guidelines.
- Responsible for assigned weekend & Holiday rotation duties.
- Maintains general care of horticultural tools, and equipment (i.e., apply lubrication and general cleaning. Refers more serious problems to Supervisor)
Education: B.S. degree in Horticulture, Biology, Botany and/or related field required. Minimum of 3 years’ hands-on, relevant horticulture work experience required. An equivalent combination of skills, education and experience may be considered.
Experience: Excellent working knowledge of plant materials and landscape maintenance techniques; proficient in operating various landscaping tools and equipment. Superior knowledge of annuals, perennials, trees & shrubs is necessary. Proficient experience using Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Outlook, Excel, Word)
Specialized knowledge, Licenses: IPM knowledge. Pesticide applicators license or ability to obtain one. Valid Michigan driver’s license.
Working Conditions: Outdoor activities (all weather, any season), operation of various hand tools and power equipment, use and apply chemicals, Ability to lift/move up to 10 pounds regularly, frequently up to 50 pounds, and occasionally up to 100 pounds. May be required to perform tasks at varying heights (i.e., climb ladders, etc.) Occasional office environment. Must be able to perform simple tasks independently after being given assignments. Flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays for annual watering schedule and snow/ice removal.
If you are interested in working for one of West Michigan’s premier cultural institutions and with a highly-motivated team… send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park is an EOE. All candidates are required to submit to our background and drug screening process.