Horticulture Technical Assistant
Location: Flint, MI
Deadline: February 28, 2017
The Ruth Mott Foundation based in Flint, Michigan, is a non-profit philanthropic organization offering grants and programs that serve the Greater Flint community. The Foundation operates Applewood: The Charles Stewart Mott Estate, to demonstrate and support its mission.
Job Posting: Horticulture Technical Assistant (Full time)
Job Purpose: To provide technical assistance to the community as directed in the strategic plan. Manages the flow of technical assistance projects, taps RMF staff with appropriate expertise for each project and uses landscape design skills, plant knowledge and AutoCAD ability to create solutions for community horticulture needs. Also mows large lawn expanses inside the estate’s fence. Assists with snow removal in the off-season. Supports public programs and shares horticultural knowledge with the public.
- Meets with organizations and groups requesting horticultural technical assistance to assess the scope of the projects and expertise needed.
- Assisting with creative development, support and evaluation of Applewood’s programs.
- Sharing expertise through creation and presentation of public workshops in horticulture and other related topics of interest.
- Participating in event set-up and tear-down.
- Providing horticulture technical assistance to grant staff, grantees, volunteers, organizations and groups.
- Leading guided grounds tours of Applewood and support other public program functions.
- Works with RMF staff to assist with and oversee technical assistance solutions. Also involves other resources when appropriate such as MSU Extension and edibleflint.
- Creates designs and plans in AutoCAD to provide to organizations and groups as needed.
- Provides hands-on instruction and training to groups and organizations to properly implement technical assistance solutions.
- Mows large turf areas of the estate inside the fence and assists with grounds maintenance tasks if time allows.
- Assists with snow removal.
- Uses GPS/GIS/CAD hardware and software to map the estate’s underground systems and plantings.
- Collaborates with program staff by:
- Participates in the development and implementation of RMF’s Strategic Plan, Diversity and Inclusion, and other foundation initiatives, as requested.
- Engages in continuing education to stay informed of the latest horticultural, community engagement and GIS/GPS/CAD advances.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in horticulture or related field.
- Minimum of three years of experience in horticulture field.
- Michigan Commercial Certified Pesticide Applicator’s License with turfgrass and ornamental plant categories.
- Experience with equipment such as hand tools, rototillers, tractors, skid steers, excavators, zero-turn mowers, etc.
- Proficiency in computer-aided drafting software, AutoCAD preferred.
- Knowledge of GIS software, ArcGIS preferred.
- Knowledge of rendering software, SketchUp preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong communication and community engagement skills
- Hold a valid driver’s license.
- May need to travel up and down stairs and ladders; bend, stoop, and lift to move materials; to pull/push, lift and carry up to 50 pounds; and to reach both above and below shoulder height. The work requires the ability to work in both indoor and outdoor environments.
Ruth Mott Foundation recruits team members that are as economically, culturally and ethnically diverse as the community we serve. We are committed to diversity and inclusion in all its forms, including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, protected genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To Apply: Email resume to Resumes@ruthmott.org Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.