Horticulture Internships & Summer Employment Opportunities
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Deadline: February 28, 2017
- Seasonal Gardener : Some work/hands on experience preferred working in some facet of the green industry with a green industry field of study.
- Specialized Seasonal Gardeners: Turf grass Management, Plant Records Management, Irrigation Management—Primary responsibilities in 1 of these 3 key areas with secondary responsibilities Gardens wide.
These are temporary, hourly, seasonal positions. The Seasonal Gardener (Intern) will assist with the maintenance of indoor and outdoor gardens and displays. The work schedule will include a rotation of weekends and holidays, which will involve some greenhouse, grounds maintenance and landscaping responsibilities. 40 hours per week (up to 12-16 weeks). Beginning April to May and ending mid to late August.
Responsibilities: (include but not limited to)
- Work with permanent horticulture staff to coordinate and carry out daily tasks.
- Ability to operate power equipment and machinery.
- Supervise, train, lead volunteers & assist guests.
- Assist with maintenance and installation of indoor and outdoor gardens under the supervision of the horticulture staff. (Weeding, watering, planting, etc.).
- Assist with indoor and outdoor exhibits and displays, as needed
- Work a rotation of some evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to carry out daily duties with limited supervision.
- Perform other reasonable related duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management staff as required. Some lifting, pushing, pulling up to 50 lbs involved.
- Valid driver’s license & exceptional driving record required.
- Current University/College student in the biological sciences. (preferred)
- Good communication, problem solving & interpersonal skills.
- GIS and/or irrigation experience a plus.
- Customer Service, supervisory & public gardening experience helpful but not required.
- Those seeking College/University ‘internship’ credits as a graduation requirement will be given priority.
- Specialized positions require knowledge and experience within the chosen specialty.
Please submit your resume’, letter of interest & references via e-mail to:
Edward McKee, Horticulture Manager at
Wendy Pektunus, Horticulture Manager at
Please visit our website at http://www.meijergardens.org
The Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park is an EOE.
All candidates are required to submit to our background, DMV and drug screening process.