Location: Cleveland, OH
Deadline: May 31, 2017
Internship - Horticulture (garden - 2017)
Position Title: Intern
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum & Cleveland Botanical Garden) has internship positions available in the horticulture & conservation department. This position will expose interns to the many facets of an urban public horticultural institution, primarily in garden and glasshouse management.
- Direct Supervisor, Grounds Manager
- Work with Horticulturists
- Work with Glasshouse staff
- Work with Curator of Collections
- Work with Seasonal Workers
- Work with Volunteer
- Cleveland Botanical Garden – Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA
- Located in the heart of Cleveland’s cultural, health, and education district, 10 minutes east of downtown Cleveland.
- The Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden recently integrated, making the organization the 12th largest public garden in the U.S.
- Accomplish daily hands-on, horticulturally-related jobs as well as long-term group projects
- Assist with care of gardens and glasshouses, including duties such as, but not limited to watering, pruning, planting, weeding, mulching, fertilizing, mowing, propagating, and IPM pest control.
- Conduct work for a season long project, culminating with a public presentation.
- Completion of two years of college (horticulture, botany or related field) or technical program is preferred.
- Proven genuine interest in plants, coupled with a desire to learn.
- Experience in the field of horticulture is preferred.
- Excellent ability to communicate and interact with the general public.
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- Must pass a criminal background check, credit and substance screening
Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Stand and/or sit for extended periods of time
- Transport oneself by foot over a variety of terrain that may be wet, slippery, uneven or rocky
- Regular lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Kneeling, bending, stooping, grabbing and reaching
- Effective vision and hearing
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Outside work is required (in all weather conditions)
- May/June through August/September (minimum three-(3) month commitment)
- Starting / ending dates flexible.
- Five days per week with weekend work, 6:30 am to 3:00 pm
- Approximately 40 hours per week
Wages: $10.00 per hour
- Gain practical, hands-on experience in working with annuals & perennials, woody plants, herbs, wildflowers, aquatic plants, interior plants, turf, tropical & desert plants, and container plantings.
- Learn and practice sustainable horticulture practices including Integrated Pest Management, organic fertilizers, etc.
- College internship credit with sponsoring school.
- Independent special project with a mentor.
- Field trips to public and commercial horticulture facilities, relevant local training, meetings, etc.
- Attend Holden / Garden classes and programs for free (unless materials fee applies).
- Intern is responsible for obtaining housing and transportation.
- Assistance in locating very affordable housing is available (if requested on application.)
Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume online:
Posting Date: February 2017
Closing Date: Until Filled
Holden Forests and Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.