Location: Burton, MI
Deadline: May 31, 2017
SEASONAL HORTICULTURAL ASSISTANT
Genesee County Parks and Recreation Commission
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Assists the horticulturist by performing a variety of horticultural and maintenance tasks; assists in arboretum development; and educational programs. Receives direct supervision from the horticulturist, but is also expected to work under own initiative; will be required to provide direction to subordinate employees, interns and volunteers; performs related duties as required.
2017 Pay Rate: $10.40 per hour
STATEMENT OF TASKS:
* Assists in development and maintenance of display gardens, vegetable gardens, high tunnel operations and woody plant collections
* Assists in the coordination of the arboretum volunteer program and internship program.
* Assists in the visitor center operation, clerical and housekeeping tasks.
* Assists in identification, labeling, inventory and collection of plant material.
* Assists in the development of a plant database and horticultural maintenance recordkeeping.
* Assists in soil sampling, surveying and mapping of the arboretum.
* Assists in the development and delivery of educational programs and exhibits
* Assists in all landscape maintenance, including planting, pruning, fertilizing, pest management, mulching, watering, weeding, grounds cleanup and general lawn maintenance.
* Monitors public activities to ensure adhearance to park policies/rules, including weddings and community events.
* Operates equipment associated with landscape operations including; pick-ups, dump trucks, trailers, utility vehicles, tractors, etc.
* The tasks specified above are intended to be sufficient to identify the class and be illustrative of the many duties that may be assigned. It should not be interpreted to describe all of the duties an employee assigned to this class may be required to perform.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Ability to accept and follow oral and written instructions given by superior in charge.
* Knowledge of and ability to learn arboretum horticultural maintenance practices.
* Knowledge of and ability to learn the identification of plants.
* Knowledge of Microsoft office products
* Ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships.
* Ability to correctly and safely operate and maintain arboretum equipment and tools.
* Ability to perform both detail work and physical landscape work.
* Ability to learn to speak in front of groups.
* Ability to read and write and be physically able to perform the work.
* College coursework in landscape horticulture, floriculture, botany, landscape architecture, forestry, or related field and one (1) season related experience – or – two (2) seasons of related experience
* Possession of a valid driver’s license.
* Must be willing to work weekends, holidays and irregular hours when requested.
* Will be required to wear a prescribed work uniform.
* Must wear protective wear and safety gear when required.
* Must be courteous in dealing with the general public and fellow staff members.
* Must complete a CPR/First Aid certification course provided by Genesee County or provide proof of current certifications.
* Will be required to routinely lift and carry in excess of 40 pounds
* Possession of a Certified Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License or the ability to become certified within 30 days of initial employment. The following categories will be required: ornamentals, turf, right-of-way and vegetables.
UNIFORM REQUIREMENTS AND REIMBURSEMENTS:
Applicant will be required to purchase OSHA approved safety-toed shoes/boots prior to beginning employment. After the first forty (40) hours of employment, the employee will receive $50.00 towards the cost of the required safety-toed shoes/boots, during the first season of employment only. Two (2) uniform shirts will be provided, additional shirts may be purchased.
NOTICE: A work permit must be supplied by anyone under 18 years of age. They may be obtained at your High School or former High School.