Location: Hudsonville, MI
Deadline: August 25, 2016
JOB TITLE: Grower Assistant
REPORTS TO: Head Grower
Under direct supervision by the Assistant Production Manager, cares for plants in area of responsibility. Performs watering, fertilizing and chemical treatment of plants by hand watering and/or running watering equipment. Monitors product quality and performs weeding and hand trimming as needed. Performs water quality and soil testing and scouts plants for diseases or insects. Observes all safety regulations and performs maintenance and housekeeping duties. Production takes place in greenhouses and outdoor in container fields which includes being exposed to extremely hot and cold temperatures and chemicals. Standing, sitting, bending, twisting, and lifting of up to 30 lbs. is required. Performs other duties as necessary.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives direct supervision from Assistant Plug Manager daily on what plants need to be watered.
- Understands moisture requirements of plants and identifies plants to be watered and treated.
- Cares for plants in area of responsibility. Applies water, fertilizer and/or chemicals to plant product as needed by hand watering with a hose or by programming and running watering equipment. Pulls weeds, performs hand trimming as needed.
- Monitors overall quality of products, reports problems or areas of concern to Growers. and scouts for insects.
- Operates, maintains and repairs irrigation equipment including but not limited to irrigation lines, ball valves, sprinkler heads, etc. Ensures that stock tanks are full, booms are clean, etc.
- Performs housekeeping duties. Ensures that work area/grounds are clean, free of debris, etc.
- Performs water quality and soil testing as needed.
- Assists Growers with duties as needed such as seeding, cutting, inspecting product for quality, etc.
- Observes safety regulations. Wears proper personal protective equipment when required.
- Performs other duties as necessary in support of company goals and objectives.
- High school diploma; or equivalent.
- One year experience in horticulture or similar industry. Experience with perennial growing preferred.
- Ability to visually observe, monitor and identify plants including health and quality.
- Must be able to move around from greenhouse to greenhouse which involves working inside and outside with exposure to weather which can be have varying temperatures and levels of precipitation and sunshine. Ground is often unstable, muddy or uneven.
- Ability to analyze, troubleshoot and problem-solve.
- Ability to manage work schedules, timelines and prioritize work.
- Proficiency with computer, tools and equipment related to job.
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment used to perform job duties.
- Good communication, social, and active listening skills; must be able to effectively communicate to others.
Start date immediately
Eligible for Healthcare Benefits, one month after start date
Hourly wage $15.00