Greenhouse Crop Production Manager
Location: London, ON
Deadline: October 31, 2017
A strong leader with an innovative and hands-on approach to ensure team work, positive work environment, instilling and reinforcing good crop selection and maintenance in greenhouse crop production sections that meets our customer needs. This position requires an experienced Production Manager who is eager to work with the team to consistently improve output. The Production Manager will report directly to the Operations Manager of the company.
Van Luyk’s is a family business providing quality product, selection and service since 1970. As a year-round, full-service garden centre, nursery, florist and gift shop, we provide solutions and expertise to meet our customers’ garden and floral needs. We offer an extensive variety of live plants grown on-site, and a wide selection of unique and unusual, rare and exotic plants. We work with our customers to create successful gardens - indoors and out.
- Plan, implement and execute growing strategies for the garden centre
- Lead the Production team for plant transplant and care
- Place orders for crop production department
- Communicate and establish working scheme for plant care, IPM and fertigation
- Coordinate and work with Office Manager to hire seasonal staff
- Train, supervise and schedule Production department staff
- Lead the staff to prepare for winter including cleaning up and stock maintenance
- Review and make recommendations to increase efficiency
- Keep crops consolidated and promptly dispose of substandard plants
- Maintain a zero-tolerance attitude for unsafe work conditions and practices
- Establish and review goals and objectives for Production department staff
- Actively participate in team seminars, discussions and management meetings
- Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture/Plant Science/Plant Pathology
- 7+ years of experience in greenhouse garden centre operations.
- 2+ years of management experience in greenhouse horticulture production.
- Working knowledge of greenhouse industry standards and regulations.
- Ability to coach and mentor employees.
Please forward your resume to: Suba Sivakumar firstname.lastname@example.org