General Horticulture Employee
Location: Clark, CO
Deadline: February 28, 2017
The Home Ranch is a luxury guest ranch and member of the Relais & Chateaux small hotel association, focused on creating outstanding cuisine from the freshest ingredients to pair with the finest wines. The Home Ranch was one of the first high-elevation farm-to-table guest ranches in Colorado, and our executive chef and cooks all appreciate the importance of farm fresh ingredients.
Clark Property Management encompasses the horticulture team for The Home Ranch, as well as property management for a few select properties around the Elk River Valley. As such, our daily and weekly tasks are multi-faceted. Twice weekly and as requested, we provide the kitchen with fresh market-ready produce. Our team is also responsible for landscape maintenance, flowerbed detailing, and general grounds work around the Ranch and the CPM properties. Other tasks include daily care of a flock of 65 laying hens, and creating and maintaining ambiance cut flower arrangements around the lodge and guest cabins.
Our team is kept busy all summer, and we truly do enjoy every minute of it! Working outside in the Rockies, at the seat of the Zirkel Wilderness makes coming to work satisfying. Employee housing units are all a walk able distance away from the ranch, so you can start your day seamlessly. Room and board is also included in your salary, so no need to worry about cooking.
We’re all passionate about growing plants, being outside and having fun while we do it…but you probably are, too! We look forward to hearing from you and integrating your passions with our vision here at The Home Ranch.
NOTE: This job description shall not be construed as a contract for employment. The Home Ranch is an at-will employer.
As a prerequisite to employment, a background check and credit report may be performed.
The general horticulture employee is responsible for aiding the Master Gardener/supervisor and the assistant supervisor in all Horticulture team projects. The general horticulture employee will have a basic knowledge of vegetable gardening as well as landscape gardening and will be flexible to move about the projects as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work independently as well as with others
- Willingness to learn and research mitigation practices independently
- Work in variable weather conditions and supply own clothing and boots.
- Work with co-workers on all aspects of greenhouse production: amending beds, planting, weeding, watering, harvesting, washing produce, opening and closing down of greenhouse.
- Work with co-workers caring for farm animals when needed.
- Work with co-workers on all landscape care and maintenance projects for all Clark Property Management Company clients.
- Ability to research plant/landscape problems as they arise and implement solutions with the rest of the horticulture team.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO SAFETY:
- Protect the safety of self, co-workers and ranch guests at all times.
- Report any potentially harmful equipment or situations to the immediate supervisor without delay.
- Report safety-related accidents and incidents at once to immediate supervisor
- Follow all company and department safety policies and procedures
- Operate equipment and vehicles in a safe manner that will not lead to injury of yourself or others.
- Drive in accordance with the law and resort policies
- Handle all gardening tools in a responsible manner and do not leave laying around.
Occasionally the general horticulture employee will be responsible for a crew or project.
Previous experience in horticulture strongly preferred.
Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
1+ year experience in vegetable gardening, care of trees & shrubs, general landscape maintenance preferred.
Interest or experience in property management
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions.
Ability to log daily activities
Ability to communicate comfortably with co-workers and guests
Must be able to do basic addition and multiplication
Ability to use a scale and add weights in ounces and pounds
Ability to use common sense and carry out daily directions.
Ability to understand planting diagrams.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
- Able to lift 50#, haul hoses repeatedly, haul bags of soil amendments, kneel or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to use standard gardening tools (clippers, shovels, wheelbarrows, rakes, etc.) for long periods of time
- Able to work outside in all weather conditions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the daily routine of this job, the employee will encounter all types of weather – hot, cold, rain, snow, etc. Employee needs to arrive at work prepared to handle all weather throughout the day with appropriate clothing and water bottle.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.