Location: Lansing , MI
Deadline: March 1, 2014
Allen Neighborhood Center’s Gardening Educator, AmeriCorps member
Established in 1999, Allen Neighborhood Center (ANC) is a hub for neighborhood revitalization and for activities that promote the health, safety, stability, and economic well-being of residents and other stakeholders in the northeast quadrant of Lansing, MI. ANC’s work in comprehensive and integrative community development has resulted in signature projects, such as the Hunter Park GardenHouse. This program and many others have emerged from ANC’s frequent and inclusive neighborhood forums, designed to address emerging issues, including food security and food access, and ensure the development of pioneering, resident-driven strategies for community improvement.
This member will serve as the Gardening Educator of the Hunter Park GardenHouse/Urban Gardening Program, who will:
- collaborate with the GardenHouse Director to develop and promote a robust gardening program throughout the Eastside (link neighbors to resources, assist with planning, promoting, and facilitating of garden education offerings including home garden visits, monthly workshops, and Urban Gardener Certification Program.
- develop, promote, and facilitate youth gardening & nutrition programs (Take Root & Youth Service Corps). Specific youth projects include: Garden-in-a-Box, Edible Park, and Fruit Tree Project.
- provide instruction/mentoring to GardenHouse volunteers and visitors during open hours.
- thoroughly document the effectiveness and impact of GardenHouse programs through dot and paper surveys (# served, % increase in consumption of fruits and vegetables, etc.)
- Commitment to serve 900 hours from March 10, 2014- September 19, 2014.
- High school degree, GED certificate or agree to achieve GED within the year
- Minimum of 18 year of age, US citizen or permanent resident status
- Desire and ability to engage with a diverse group of people, particularly those living in low- income distressed neighborhoods
- Ability to function independently and in a team environment Knowledge and experience in urban gardening
- Computer skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Flexible availability required (some night and weekends)
A half-time AmeriCorps member is expected to serve 900 hours from March 10, 2014 - September 19, 2014. Members receive a $6,400 living allowance, $2,775 educational award at the successful completion of the service term, and loan
forbearance for qualified student loans.
Members attend monthly meetings and trainings hosted by the Power of We Consortium, and Allen
Neighborhood Center will also make additional training opportunities available.
Please send submissions to:
Rita O’Brien, Hunter Park GardenHouse Director Allen Neighborhood Center
1619 E. Kalamazoo St., Lansing, MI 48912 517-999-3910; email@example.com