Friends of Grand Rapids Internship Opportunity
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Deadline: March 14, 2014
May 1 through August 31 (Flexible start/end)
30+ hours a week, Occasional evenings and weekends Salary/Rate: $10/hr
Do you like parks, trees, people, and being outside? Friends of Grand Rapids Parks (FGRP) is looking for an awesome intern to help support FGRP’s signature programs; Parks Alive Leaders (PAL) and the Urban Forest Project (UFP). Throughout the summer, FGRP will host numerous workshops, volunteer opportunities, and collect data on past and future projects. You’ll help us by assisting to coordinate amazing volunteers, talk with great community members, perform on-site tree or park work, and spend some quality time among parks and trees.
The Friends of Grand Rapids Parks is an independent, citizen led, nonprofit enterprise founded in 2008, working closely with but separate from the City, with the mission to identify specific park projects, mobilize people, and generate resources to protect, enhance, and expand the City’s parks and public spaces. In a nutshell, we make park improvement projects happen by bringing together neighbors, park users, the City, funders, volunteers and contractors.
The right person will help us by:
- Urban Forestry (50%)-supporting Citizen Foresters, developing education and outreach materials, assisting with tree planting and care projects, assisting neighbors with tree-related questions, and performing inventory and analysis on past planting projects.
- Volunteer coordination (25%) - communicating with, coordinating and supporting volunteers at FGRP projects such as park clean-ups, tree planting, tree care, installation of new equipment, mulching, weeding or planting, painting, and associated activities.
- Special Event Support (10%) attending and supporting special events such as annual fund-raisers, membership meetings, and similar activities.
- Kick around the office (15%) other duties as necessary to help us get great things done.
You may be the right fit if you’re:
- Working towards a degree in parks/ recreation, natural resources, forestry, horticulture,or related field;
- Experienced workin with groups of volunteers, parks and recreation, or planting and caring for trees;
- Knowledgeable in tree biology, care, and identification; and
- Organized, motivated, and have strong written and verbal communication skills.
Please submit resume and cover letter in PDF by Friday March 14, 2014 to:
email@example.com subject: I want to work for FGRP!!!
Note: FGRP is willing to work with your institution as necessary to help you receive the required credit or fulfillment of internship requirements as related to your program.