REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: The FPM reports to the Executive Director and serves as key staff liaison to the Board’s Operations Committee. S/he supervises a full time Community Forester and works collaboratively with the Development and Marketing Manager and Volunteer Programs Coordinator.
Forestry Programs Planning and Implementation
o Set yearly goals, objectives, and budgetary requirements in alignment with Forest ReLeaf’s strategic plan. Implement and assess the efficacy of signature tree distribution and planting programs:
- Project CommuniTree: the 3-gallon tree distribution throughout the service area.
- Priority ReLeaf: distribution of larger trees for special projects in financially underserved areas and those recovering from disaster.
- ReLeaf Sales: sales of native trees, shrubs and other plants made available to the general public.
- Together with the Community Forester, serve as Forest ReLeaf’s primary liaisons with organizational partners and other groups requesting free trees, providing technical assistance as needed.
- Provide necessary input for proposals to funders as needed.
- Oversee implementation of a planted tree re-inventory data collection tool to assess tree health for Forest ReLeaf’s newly planted trees; analyze results and make program adjustments as indicated.
- Oversee daily operations at Forest ReLeaf’s six-acre, community-assisted nursery. Establish and adhere to budgets for each program.
- Order and approve purchases of supplies, equipment and plant materials as needed to meet seasonal tree cultivation and distribution requirements.
- Maintain all equipment in good working order.
- Coordinate and oversee nursery work days with the Community Forester and nursery volunteers.
- Coordinate and implement special projects at the nursery in cooperation with Executive Director, Operations Committee, volunteers, contractors and other Forest Releaf staff.
- Manage the daily volunteer workforce at CommuniTree Gardens with assistance from the Community Forester
- Work collaboratively with the Volunteer Programs Coordinator to assess volunteer preferences, track hours worked and create a robust recognition program.
Forestry Education & Outreach
- Develop and coordinate speakers for a yearly TreeKeepers course, offered to the general public. Provide expertise to the Board’s Education and Outreach Committee.
- Direct efforts of the Community Forester with education and outreach activities requested by the public.
- Serve from time to time as a media spokesperson for Forest ReLeaf and technical expert for external requests for information.
- Represent Forest ReLeaf at meetings of professional organizations, including the Missouri Community Forestry Council and Midwest Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture.
- Present updates of forestry programs activities and progress on goals to the Board of Trustees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Must have at least a Bachelor of Science in Forestry/Horticulture or closely related field.
Experience: Knowledge of tree identification, planting and care. Prefer at least five (5) years of experience in community forestry or a related field; prior supervisory experience is a plus. The ability to operate and maintain nursery tools and equipment is desirable. Must possess, or be able to obtain within one year, International Society of Arboriculture certification. Experience using Word and Excel is required.
Other Expertise: Strong leadership, communication, flexibility and human relations skills are critical for this position. Must be able to function well as a team player with staff, volunteers and partner organizations. Nursery work requires occasional heavy lifting and physical exertion. A valid driver’s license is required; use of personal vehicle for agency-related travel will receive mileage reimbursement. A Class E or CDL Class B license may be needed for some vehicle operations. Working hours, especially during the spring and fall seasons, will require occasional weekend work.
APPLICATION INFORMATION: Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org