Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Deadline: January 6, 2017
Assists the City Arborist with the Forestry program in assigned special projects, primarily field collection of data as it relates to the City’s tree inventory, mortality of newly planted trees, code interpretation and revision and evaluation of safety protocols.
Leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative.
- Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
- Researches and evaluates current code language;
- Updates the City’s website related to the Forestry program;
- Creates training tools for field staff;
- Researches and implementation of BMP’s;
- Evaluates the mortality of new street trees;
- Reviews recent development projects for code enforcement;
- Reviews City Code;
- Assists in plan review;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies, procedures and safety practices;
- Attends work regularly at the designated place and time;
- Supports continuous process improvement initiatives;
- Performs related work as required.
- Minimum qualifications & Requirements
- Knowledge of current ANSI and OSHA standards (A300 and Z133.1);
- Knowledge of current planting and pruning techniques;
- Knowledge of insect and disease problems associated with trees and shrubs in the Midwest, as well as other abiotic and biotic problems;
- Ability to identify tree species rated to Midwest hardiness zones 4-5;
- Ability to utilize Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Ability to work cooperatively and to maintain effective working relationships to accomplish job responsibilities;
- Ability to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology;
- Ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
- Supplemental information
- Requires a minimum of 2-4 years of technical training or study towards a degree in forestry, urban forestry, arboriculture, biology, botany or other related field; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.