Exotic Forest Pest Educator
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Deadline: November 30, 2017
As Exotic Forest Pest Educator, you will manage an outreach program that promotes strong levels of cooperation from the general public, affected industries, and governmental and academic agencies in Indiana and the region to effectively manage invasive forest pests. We are seeking a creative individual who can develop Indiana’s Forest Pest Outreach Survey & Program to educate citizen scientists about invasive species and how to report them. This will include such activities as:
- Developing media campaign(s) with the Department of Agricultural Communication
- Producing publications, promotional materials, press releases, and training programs
- Maintaining a blog & website about invasive species activities and promoting this effort with social media and diagnostic mobile apps
- Serving as a connection between multiple agencies to synchronize outreach events/materials and collectively enhance their missions
- Bachelor’s degree in Entomology, Forest Entomology, Urban Forestry, Horticulture, Wildlife, Environmental Science and Technology, Technical Writing, Speech Communication or related field.
- Two years of experience working with invasive species, the horticultural industry, pests of forests or trees, or in some field of technical mass media communication.
- Familiarity with Social media, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. Word and PowerPoint skills.
- Good public speaking skills and a capacity to work with a wide variety of audiences.
- Knowledge of the critical issues surrounding invasive species. Flexibility to attend evening and overnight/out of state meetings.
- Valid US or Canadian driver’s license.
- MS or PhD in Entomology, Forestry or related science.
- Purdue will not sponsor an employment related visa for this position.
- A background check will be required for employment in this position.
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible For Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period.
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.