Community Garden Coordinator (Unpaid)
Location: Lansing, MI
Deadline: April 1, 2014
Position Description & Responsibilities
NorthWest Initiative oversees three community gardens in Lansing’s northwest neighborhoods. These gardens are able to operate successfully because of dedicated on-site garden leaders. This individual is generally a gardener at the site who commits to going above and beyond their own plot maintenance to help with plot assignments, coordinate oversight of common areas, act as liaison with The Garden Project, coordinate volunteer workdays, seek resources to accomplish goals at the garden, and continuously brainstorm ways in which to make the program more sustainable and inclusive of residents in the community.
While the position would be from April through October, 10-20 hours a week, the schedule is flexible. This is a non-paid position.
The Community Garden Coordinator should possess:
- an interest in working with people in the community the ability to problem-solve creatively
- excellent communication skills
- the ability to work independently
- an interest in food access and equity
- a basic understanding of community building, and
- have a passion for creating change at the grassroots level
While some knowledge of gardening is desired, it is not required.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please contact Tali Snyder by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 517-999-2894 by April 1, 2014.