Chief Production Officer
Location: Louisiana, MO
Deadline: November 30, 2016
To manage the production division by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors. To oversee, plan, and coordinate production staff to raise quality nursery stock. Propagate and carry out each cultural function to be both competitive and cost effective to industry standards. To coach and counsel production staff and to manage work force.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a production scheme for the crop annually.
- What farm is leased in accordance to avoid replant disease (5 year plan).
- To determine where each product is placed to maximize its value when finished.
- Develop a production budget manually.
- To oversee all Stark grown product. To work through direct reports to grow the field and greenhouse crops. To see that our people have the tools and resources to excel.
- To pursue, test and promote new products for the consumer and wholesale groups.
- To oversee the development of Mother Tree virus free, tests and regular scion blocks.
- To evaluate the fruit, culture and ripening times of our Test Orchard fruit.
- To work with Consumer on the availability of product and the accuracy of photography and content of its catalog. To write articles about cultural practices and for varietal promotion.
- Serves as the final authority on tree discrepancies, mixes, and outside purchases that are questionable. Review and authorize prop material purchases and finished good purchases to support forecasts of each profit center by crop season and crop year.
- To look for and develop practices that either through cultural practice or by rootstock selection, make our product unique and set apart from our peers.
- Monitor and help manage all spray programs, soil fertility recommendations, selection of field chemicals as well as chemicals being promoted and shipped to customers. Also, programs and processes to help prevent and control crown gal, nematodes, animal control of deer, voles, rabbits, etc.
- Monitor and assist in management and purchase of all equipment for field functions.
- Conduct tours as requested through our social media program.
- Stay abreast of legislation on state and federal levels and take appropriate action regarding:
- Labor issues
- Water districts
- Road/Bridge districts
- Greengoods restrictions of products into other states
- Exporting program and its processes
- Certification programs
- Safety and OSHA requirements in all field aspects
- Foundation materials
- Virus Index program
- IR2 Program
- Seed Orchards
- AgriBac programs
- Analyze reports and budgets, using as tools to improve the crop and performance levels.
- Coach and counsel staff.
- Review and resolve product and insect issues through the Call Center/Customer Service staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Skills needed to perform this job are people management, knowledge of equipment, chemicals and farming, and decision making skills. Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors. This job requires the ability to inspire, empower, and work with people.
Credentials and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in the field of Horticulture is strongly preferred; 4-5 years related experience and/or training in Growing, Propagation and Agronomy is strongly preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Working Conditions & Special Requirements:
The individual is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions and occasionally operates equipment including, but not limited to buses, semi-tractors, pickups, tractors, sprayers, forklifts, and bobcats. The individual is frequently required to sit. While performing the duties the individual is frequently required to walk, stand, push or pull objects and bend. The individual is occasionally required to kneel and climb and occasionally lifts and carries up to 50 lbs. The individual will be exposed to extreme temperatures, humidity, and will be in the proximity to high voltage and dangerous machinery. Close and distant vision is required for observation purposes.
Contact information: Brent Bland, HR. 573.754.8813 and firstname.lastname@example.org