Associate Institute Director, Greening Michigan Institute
Deadline: April 11, 2017
Michigan State University Extension
Associate Institute Director, Greening Michigan Institute
As part of Michigan State University Extension (MSU Extension) and the Greening Michigan Institute (GMI), this position provides statewide leadership and support for Michigan State University Extension’s community and economic development and natural resources programming. In collaboration with the GMI Director, the Associate Institute Director will provide programmatic leadership and support to GMI staff, including new GMI staff hiring, Institute work team coordination, identification of programmatic needs and issue priorities, Institute budgeting and partnership building. This position will collaborate and work with faculty, specialists and educators, and external partners in advancing the programmatic impact of the Greening Michigan Institute. This position is full-time, based in the Michigan State University Extension Office located on the campus of Michigan State University.
Specific Responsibilities Include
• Work closely with the Institute Director in the statewide programmatic needs and trends
assessment for community and economic development and natural resources programming. • Provide leadership to strategic planning efforts with GMI work teams and intra and inter-
• Support the GMI work teams with work team functioning, leadership development, and multi-
level and multi-disciplinary program planning and implementation, as consistent with programmatic priorities.
• Serve on the GMI leadership team.
• Assist with GMI staff management and support, including staff evaluations, review of
programming and information dissemination, review and feedback of staff reports, and other modalities of information delivery.
• Assist with the hiring of program staff, consistent with GMI staffing plan.
• Provide administrative guidance and support to Institute staff/teams in writing grants,
generating revenue and establishing partnerships that leverage public, private and not-for-profit funds in ways consistent with MSU Extension policies, and which foster effective and expanded programming.
• Work with District Coordinators as needed to address issues/concerns related to programming
• Serve as liaison with other Institutes to enhance the design and delivery of educational
programs, strengthen program quality, and connectivity of work group efforts.
• Provide guidance and assistance to GMI staff related to MSU Extension/MSU policy and
• Interact with diverse sets of stakeholders inside and outside of the University.
• Serve on the MSU Extension Administrative Team.
• Represent the MSU Extension Greening Michigan Institute at county, state and national venues, including service on relevant committees and attendance at related conferences/events.
• Master’s degree in related field: public administration, business administration, community
development, natural resources.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in Extension, or similar organization, with an emphasis on
community and economic development or natural resources.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience providing supervision and/or policy/procedure development,
implementation and interpretation.
• Experience working with academic faculty and partners to disseminate educational programs.
• Demonstrated leadership and management abilities.
• Ability to accept and delegate responsibility.
• Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships intra- and inter-organizationally.
• Demonstrated drive, initiative and ability to work with simultaneous, multiple tasks.
• Experience with marketing/promotion of educational programs.
• Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Experience and proven ability working productively with a team.
• Proficiency in use of technology (e.g. web research, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
for mail/calendaring, distance technology, etc.) for day-to-day work and educational program delivery, record keeping, reporting, team-based communications and overall management.
• Demonstrated success in program development and delivery to diverse audiences/communities
including but not limited to race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences. • Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents and
community members across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences to assist with program development and outreach.
• Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights principles and compliance standards.
• Ability to lift and carry educational materials, equipment, etc. up to 25 pounds.
• Ability to regularly travel within the assigned area and surrounding communities, as well as occasional travel outside the assigned area in order to perform duties of this position.
• Ph.D. in a related field preferred.
• Successful proposal development and grant execution experience, preferred.
Supervision Received From
This position is responsible to the Director of MSU Extension Greening Michigan Institute.
Interested and qualified candidates should visit the Michigan State University jobs page at www.jobs.msu.edu and search for posting #4842 to apply.
Applicants are asked to submit an up-to-date resume/CV and a cover letter that includes the names and email addresses of four professional references.
For more information, please contact Dr. David Ivan, Greening Michigan Institute Director at email@example.com , or 517.432.7602.
This assignment is a full-time, end-dated appointment renewable annually. However, processes for review and granting of tenure with Michigan State University will be considered for those applicants currently holding tenure status.
Applications are currently being accepted through April 11, 2017.
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal opportunity employer. MSU Extension programs and material are open to all without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, religion, age, height, weight, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, or veteran status.