Summer Internship Program
Location: West Chicago, IL
Deadline: February 28, 2017
For well over two decades, Ball Horticultural Company has offered a wide variety of internships
to students majoring in Horticulture, Plant Science, Agribusiness, and related fields. Each year,
our internship projects are linked to specific business initiatives, which encompass a range of
horticulture disciplines including advanced research, breeding and genetics, marketing,
business operations, production, and trialing.
All internships require a minimum of Junior-level standing at an accredited, four-year university
or college. Historically, Ball interns arrive with significant academic and/or related
extracurricular accomplishments, although consideration is also given to those students
demonstrating exceptional promise. When applying for these internship projects, students
should consider the following:
- All internships are offered during the summer months for a period of 10-12 weeks.
- Start and end dates are relatively flexible, depending upon the student’s availability and the needs of the department; we prefer interns start no later than the Tuesday after Memorial Day.
- Unless otherwise noted, internships are located in West Chicago, Illinois, which is a suburb approximately 35 miles west of Chicago.
- Rate of pay is $13.00 per hour. Students work a minimum of 40 hours/week; some internships require overtime during critical periods.
- We provide fully furnished and appointed apartments in a nearby apartment complex and absorb the majority of the rental costs. The student portion of housing is $200.00 per month. Food, transportation and other living costs are the responsibility of the student. Students are required to have their own transportation since housing is not within walking distance from work locations and public transportation is not accessible.
- A major goal of the program is to expose students to multiple aspects of our business operations; presentations and tours of departments throughout the company are provided during the summer. Similarly, interns are expected to participate in company and industry events including AmericanHort’s Cultivate ’17 in Columbus, OH and Ball Customer Days.
- All internships culminate in mid-August with a final presentation made by each intern on his/her experiences and accomplishments; these presentations are made to members of Ball’s Management Teams.
- The application deadline is February 28, 2017. Intern selections will be determined by March 15, 2017. All applicants will be notified of our decisions.
Students interested in pursuing one of these internships should forward a cover letter and resume to:
Descriptions for each of the MANY internships can be found here: Ball_Internship_Program_2017_descriptions.pdf