Location: Detroit, MI
Deadline: December 31, 2017
POSITION: Assistant Floriculturist at the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory, Belle Isle Park, Detroit, MI
PAY RATE: $10.00/Hr.
GRANT AWARDS: Single educational grant awards up to $5,730; multiple grant awards possible
WORK SCHEDULE: Four 10 hour days per week; which days per week will vary
- Plant specimen care including watering, pruning, fertilizing, weeding, dead heading and pest control in each of five distinct plant houses
- Regulate temperature and humidity of conservatory plant houses
- Monitor and record plant conditions, treatments and general data such as temperature, humidity, and watering
- Carry out arrangement, set up and maintenance of formal flower showroom
- Assist as needed with care of Anna Scripps Whitcomb orchid collection and other greenhouse specimens
- Layout and planting of annuals, bulbs, and perennials in formal gardens of conservatory and formal beds throughout the island
- Maintenance of the conservatory grounds and other formal landscaping on the island including pruning, weeding, irrigation and application of herbicide
- Serve as public information officer for the conservatory and park; enforce the rules of the conservatory
- Assist with and/or lead volunteers in conservatory work, landscape work and stewardship work inside the conservatory and across the island
- General building maintenance and daily care of the conservatory including removal of plant refuse, cleaning, washing windows, and removing trash
POSITION INFORMATION: Conservatory staff will assist in the care of the extensive collection of plant specimens in four distinct plant houses, seasonal floral displays and formal gardens. Work will benefit one of the historic and cultural icons in the city of Detroit. This is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable hands-on experience in plant care, floriculture and horticulture techniques and the maintenance of public gardens.
ABOUT MCCC/AMERICORPS: The Assistant Floriculturist positions at the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory will be hired under the Michigan Civilian Conservation Corps (MCCC) program. The MCCC program is a special program of the Michigan Legislature. Members of the program are hired as Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation Division employees. Employees have the opportunity to join AmeriCorps and earn educational grant awards upon completion of set time requirements. The education award may be used for any qualifying form of higher education from vocational training to graduate school, or may be used to repay existing student loans. Other benefits include paid personal annual leave and paid administrative leave for career development and job searches.
- Must be between 18 and 27 years of age and meet all other MCCC requirements to qualify
- High school graduate or G.E.D minimum
- No experience is required. Preferable to have completed college courses in horticulture, floriculture, or related field. Experience working in greenhouse, garden and landscape settings also desired
- Ability to learn and follow detailed directions about plants, plant care and related work
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to interact well with the public
- Good physical condition to conduct strenuous work, often under adverse conditions of heat
- Willing to use herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers. Must be willing to obtain a pesticide applicator certification
- Willingness to safely use power equipment, including clearing saws, pole pruners, and similar equipment
- Be safety conscious (obey all safety instructions and guidelines)
- Committed to stewardship of the conservatory, its plant collection and Belle Isle State Park including the natural and cultural resources.
- Applications are accepted year round for positions of six months, one year with the potential to extend up to two years
- Job applications are available at the Michigan DNR website, www.michigan.gov/dnrjobs (Form #PR-7123e)
- Attach resume and cover letter to application and mail or email to Jeremy Kemp, Horticulturalist; ASW Conservatory, DNR, Parks and Recreation Division; 2 Inselruhe Rd, Belle Isle Park, Detroit MI 48207; Phone: 313-821-9848; Email: email@example.com