East Lansing, MI 48824
Phone: (517) 353-0384
Area of Expertise: Improvement of horticultural crops using genomics, genetic, and biotechnological tools; development of efficient plant micropropagation, regeneration and transformation techniques.
September 01, 2007
15% Teaching, 30% Reseach, & 55% Contract Services
Associate Director, Plant Biotechnology Resource & Outreach Center
2014-present: Associate professor and Associate Director, Plant Biotechnology Resource & Outreach Center, Michigan State University, USA.
2007-2014: Assistant professor and Associate Director, Plant Biotechnology Resource & Outreach Center, Michigan State University, USA.
2002-2007: Research Associate, Plant Transformation Center, Michigan State University, USA.
2000-2002: Research Associate, Biotechnology Group, Mitsui Chemical, INC. Japan.
1999.2-1999.8: Laboratoire de Cryobiologie Végétale, Université P. Et M. Curie, Paris, France
CSS/HRT 451 (3 credits): Biotechnology Applications for Plant Breeding and Genetics
My research has been focusing on improvement of horticultural crops using genomic, genetic, and biotechnology approaches. My current work areas include:
Deciphering molecular basis of vernalization-mediated flowering in woody plant using a blueberry insertion mutant as a model
VcFT-mediated flowering of blueberry plants
VcDDF1-mediated abiotic tolerances in blueberry plants
VcSOC1-emidated growth and development of bluebrry plants
The roles of phytohormones in blueberry flowering
Engineering new generation of genetically modified (GM) crops
Improve plant productivity: identify and functional analysis of flowering pathway genes of blueberry (e.g. VcSOC1, VcFT, VcCAL1, VcFUL, VcTFL1, VcAP1, and VcLFY) for the purpose of high yield for fruit crops.
Abiotic tolerance/resistance: using intragenic approach to improve woody fruit crops for abiotic (cold, heat, and drought) tolerance.
Trans-grafting for biotic resistance: using hairpin RNA derived siRNAs produced from transgenic rootstock to modify non-transgenic scion cultivars grafted on transgenic rootstock.
Development of efficient plant micropropagation, regeneration and transformation techniques
Stable transformation systems
Reliable transformation systems depend on efficient gene delivery, effective selection, and efficient plant regeneration. My previous transformation efforts using either Agrobacterium-or Biolistic-mediated transformation yielded successful transformation systems for 16 plant species, including: apple (‘Galaxy’), Arabidopsis (‘Columbia’), atropa(‘Belladonna’), blueberry (‘Aurora’,‘Brigitta’,‘Bluecrop’, ‘Elliott’,and ‘Legacy’), canola (‘Westar’ and ‘Whichita’), celery (‘XP166’ and ‘XP85’), petunia (‘Mitchell’), rice (‘Nipponbare’), rutabaga (‘America purple top’), sour cherry‘Montmorency’,strawberry (‘Fengxiang’), sweet cherry root stocks (‘Gisela 6’ and ‘Gisela 7’), sweetpotato (‘Beniazuma’), switchgrass (‘Alamo’), tobacco (4 genotypes), happy tree, and tomato (10 genotypes).
- Sweet cherry, apple, blueberry, cherry rootstock, asparagus, and hosta.
Aaron Walworth, Benli Chai, Song, GQ* 2016. Transcript profile of flowering regulatory genes in VcFT-overexpressing blueberry plants. PLOS ONE 11(6): e0156993. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0156993.
Duan W, Wang, Liangsheng, Song, GQ* 2016. Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of wild tobacco species Nicotiana debneyi, Nicotiana clevelandii, and Nicotiana glutinosa. American Journal of Plant Science. 7, 1-7. doi: 10.4236/ajps.2016.71001.
Song GQ*, Aaron Walworth, Wayne H. Loescher (2015) Grafting of genetically engineered plants. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 140(3)203-213.
Song GQ* (2015) Blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum L.). In Agrobacterium Protocols (3 rd Edition)-Methods in Molecular Biology 1224 (Wang K. et al. ed.), Humana, Totowa, NJ. page 121-132.
Song GQ* (2015) Cherry. In Agrobacterium Protocols (3 rd Edition)-Methods in Molecular Biology 1224 (Wang K. et al. ed.), Humana, Totowa, NJ. page 133-142.
Zhao Dongyan and Song GQ* (2014) Rootstock-to-scion transfer of transgene-derived small interfering RNAs and their effect on virus resistance in non-transgenic sweet cherry. Plant Biotechnology Journal DOI: 10.1111/pbi.12243.
Zhao Dongyan and Song GQ* (2014) High-throughput sequencing as an effective approach in profiling small RNAs derived from a hairpin RNA expression vector in woody plants. Plant Science. 228: 39-47.
Aaron Walworth, GQ Song, Ryan M. Warner (2014) Ectopic AtCBF3 expression improves freezing tolerance and promotes compact growth habit in petunia. Molecular Breeding. DOI 10.1007/s11032-013-9989-7
Song GQ* (2014). Recent advances and opportunities in cherry biotechnology. Acta Horticulturae 1020:89-97.
Lang, G.A., G.-Q. Song, K.C. Sink, A.E. Walworth, M.A. Cook, and R.F. Allison. (2014) Transgenic gene silencing confers increased resistance to Prunus necrotic ringspot virus in cherry rootstocks. Acta Hort. 1058:547-552.
Song GQ*, Aaron Walworth, Dongyan Zhao, Britton Hildebrandt, and Michael Leasia. (2013) Constitutive expression of the K-domain of a Vaccinium corymbosum SOC1-like (VcSOC1-K) MADS-box gene is sufficient to promote flowering. Plant Cell Reports (DOI: 10.1007/s00299-013-1495-1)
Song GQ*, Aaron Walworth, Dongyan Zhao, Ning Jiang, and James F. Hancock. (2013) The Vaccinium corymbosum FLOWERING LOCUS T-like gene (VcFT): a flowering activator reverses the photoperiodic and chilling requirements and enables early and continuous flowering in blueberry. Plant Cell Reports DOI: 10.1007/s00299-013-1489-z
Song GQ*, Sink KC, Walworth AE, Cook MA, Allison RF, and Lang GA. 2013. Engineering cherry rootstocks with resistance to Prunus necrotic ring spot virus through RNAi–mediated silencing. Plant Biotechnology Journal 11(6):702-8 doi: 10.1111/pbi.12060
Song GQ* and Walworth AE. 2013. Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of Atropa belladonna. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture. Volume 115, Issue 1, pp 107-113, DOI 10.1007/s11240-013-0342-y
Mukeshimana, G., Y. Ma, A. E. Walworth, G-Q. Song, and J. D. Kelly. 2013. Factors influencing regeneration and Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Plant Biotechnology Reports 7: 59-70.
Walworth AE, Rowland LJ, Polashock JJ, Hancock JF and Song GQ*. 2012. Overexpression of a blueberry-derived CBF enhances cold tolerance in a southern highbush blueberry cultivar. Molecular Breeding 30(3):1313-1323. DOI 10.1007/s11032-012-9718-7.
Song GQ*, Walworth AE, and Hancock JF. 2012, Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of rutabaga (Brassica napus var. napobrassica) cultivar American Purple Top Yellow. In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology – Plant 48:383-389.
Song GQ*, Walworth AE, and Hancock JF. 2012, Factors influencing Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of switchgrass cultivars. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture. 108(3): 445-453.
Song GQ* and Hancock JF. 2012, Recent advances in blueberry transformation. International Journal of Fruit Science 12: 316-332.
Song GQ*, Walworth AE, and Hancock JF. 2012, Stability of transgenes in blueberry. International Journal of Fruit Science 12: 333-341.
Song GQ, Hancock J.F. 2011, Vaccinium. In Kole C (Ed) Wealth of Wild Crop Relatives: Genetic, Genomic & Breeding Resource. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. P197-222.
Song GQ, Sink K.C., Hancock J.F. 2010, Flux in morphology and GUS expression in somatic embryogenic-derived populations of transgenic celery. In Kumar A (Ed) Applications of plant biotechnology: In vitro propagation, transformations, and secondary metabolite production. p 325-335.
Liu C, Callow P, Rowland LJ, Hancock JF, Song GQ*. 2010, Adventitious shoot regeneration from leaf explants of southern highbush blueberry cultivars. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture. 103: 137-144.
Song GQ, Sink KC, Ma Y, Herlache T, Hancock JF, Loescher WH. 2010, A novel mannose-based selection system for plant transformation using celery M6PR. Plant Cell Reports 29: 163-172
Song GQ, Sink K.C., Callow P.W., Baughan R., and Hancock, J.F. 2008, Evaluation of a herbicide resistant trait conferred by the bar gene driven by four distinct promoters in transgenic blueberry plants. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 133(4): 605-611.
Loskutov AV, Song GQ, Sink KC. 2008, Evaluation of methods for celery (Apium Graveolens L.) transformation using Agrobacterium tumefaciens and the bar gene as selectable marker. In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology—Plant 44(4): 239-245.
Song GQ, Lang G., Dolgov S.V., and Sink K.C. 2008, Cherries. In: Kole C. and Hall T.C. (eds) A compendium of transgenic crop plants. Volume 4. p161-188. Wiley- Blackwell.
Hancock J.F., Song GQ, and Sink K.C. 2008, Berry Crops. In: Kole C. and Hall T.C. (eds) A compendium of transgenic crop plants. Volume 4. p93-120 Wiley- Blackwell.
Song GQ and Yamaguchi K. 2007, Expression of a rice CAB promoter in sweetpotato plants. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 132 (4): 551-556.
Song GQ, Roggers R.A., Sink K.C., Particka M., and Zandstra B. 2007, Production of herbicide-resistant highbush blueberry ‘Legacy’ by Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of the Bar gene. Acta Horticulturae 738: 397-408.
Song GQ and Sink K.C. 2007, Transformation of cherry: Prunus cerasus L. ‘Montmorency’ and Prunus cerasus x P. canescen ‘Gisela 6’ mediated by Agrobacterium tumefaciens and a two-step selection system. Acta Horticulturae 738: 683-690.
Song GQ and Sink K.C. 2007, Highly efficient Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of celery (Apium graveolens L.) through somatic embryogenic regeneration. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 88: 193-200.
Song GQ and Sink K.C. 2006, Transformation and plant regeneration of Montmorency sour cherry (Prunus cerasus L.) and Gisela 6 (Prunus cerasus L. x P. canescens) cherry rootstock mediated by Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Plant Cell Rep. 25 (2): 117-123.
Song GQ and Sink K.C. 2006, Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of highbush blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) cultivars. In Agrobacterium Protocols (2th Edition)-Methods in Molecular Biology 344 (Wang K. et al. ed.), Humana, Totowa, NJ, pp 263-272.
Song GQ and Yamaguchi K. 2006, Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam.) using stem explants. In Agrobacterium Protocols (2th Edition)-Methods in Molecular Biology 344 (Wang K. et al. ed.), Humana, Totowa, NJ, pp 37-44.
Song GQ and Sink K.C. 2005, Optimizing adventitious shoot regeneration and Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated gene transfer system for sour cherry (Prunus cerasus L.) cultivar Montmorency. Scientia Horticulturae 106:60-69.
Song GQ and Sink K.C. 2005, Plant regeneration and genetic transformation of Blueberry. Recent Research Developments in Genetics & Breeding. Signpost press. Vol 2: 190-200.
Song GQ and Sink K.C. 2004, Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) Plant Cell Rep. 23:475-484.
Song GQ, Honda H. and Yamaguchi K. 2004, Highly efficient Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of sweet Potato (Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam.) from stem explants using a two-step kanamycin-hygromycin selection method. In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology—Plant 40:359-365.
Non-MSU related publications
Song GQ and Yamaguchi K, 2003, Efficient Agroinfiltration–mediated transient GUS expression system for assaying different promoters in rice. Plant Biotechnology, 20(3): 235-239.
Song GQ, Yu KS, Li SH, Liu GJ, Meng ZQ, and Zhu J, 2002, Forecasting fruit diameter of ‘Fuji’ apples (Malus Pumila Mill) at harvest during early growing season. Agricultural Sicences in China 1: 905-910.
Li SH, Song GQ, Liu GJ, Meng ZQ, Yu KS, and Zhu J, 2002, Forecasting of fruit size distribution of “Fuji” apples during the early growing season. Journal of Fruit Science 19:357-360.
Liu GJ, Song GQ, Li SH, and Meng ZQ, 2002, Effect of preharvest leaf-removal on apple fruit quality and branches reserve nutrient. China Fruits 2:11-13.
Bachiri Y, Song GQ, Plessis P, Shoar-Ghaffari A, Rekab T, and Morisset C, 2001, Routine crypreservation of kiwifruit (Actinidia spp) germplasm by encapsulation-dehydration: Importance of plant growth regulators. Cryo-letters 22:61-74.
Song GQ, Xiao XG, Li Sh H, Chen Sh W, and Gan M H. 2000, Expression of chicken Marek’s Disease Virus B antigen in transgenic tobacco. Journal of Agricultural Biotechnology, 2:137-142.
Song GQ, Xiao XG, Li Sh H, 2000, Strawberry plant regeneration from leaf disks and Petioles, Deciduous Fruit 2: 3-5.
Abstracts for Conferences
- Song GQ and Aaron Walworth. Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of Atropa belladonna. In Vitro Biology Meeting. 2013, June 15-19. Providence, Rhode Island.
- Song GQ, Aaron Walworth, Dongyan Zhao, Ning Jiang, and James F. Hancock. The Vaccinium corymbosum FLOWERING LOCUS T-like gene (VaFT) is an effective flowering activator for shortening juvenility and reducing chilling requirements in blueberry. In Vitro Biology Meeting. 2013, June 15-19. Providence, Rhode Island.
- Song GQ Biotechnology strategies for blueberry and cherry. PAG XXI, San Diego, Jan 13, 2013-Invited speaker (International meeting)
- Song GQ Genetic Transformation: Bridging from Functional Genomics to Specialty Crop Improvement. 2012 World Congress In Vitro Biology (Seattle, Washington, June 4-7). In Vitro Cell Dev Biol. 2012 48 (Suppl 1): S18.
- Song GQ, Sink KC, Walworth AE, and Lang GA. 2012. Transgenic gene silencing confers increased resistance to prunus necrotic ringspot virus in cherry rootstocks. Xth International Symposium on Integrating Canopy, Rootstock and Environmental Physiology in Orchard Systems. Stellenbosch, South Africa from 3-6 December 2012
- Song GQ Plant Biotechnology: Bridging from Functinal Genomics to Specailty Crop Breeding. 2011. The Fall Scientific Meeting of the Midland Section of the American Chemical Society (Alma Colleage, Michigan, Oct 22). Invited speaker
- Loescher WH, Song GQ, Sabbatini P, Wang L. 2011. Anti-sensing a gene for mannitol biosynthesis results in loss of salinity tolerance. Plant Biology 2011, Minneapolis, August 6-10. – Abstract
- James D. Kelly, Gerardine Mukeshimana, Wayne Loescher, Guo-qing Song, Cholani Weebadde. 2011. Building Expertise in Plant Breeding that Focuses on Drought Tolerance in Common Bean. NIFA meeting in San Diego.
- James D. Kelly, Jesse Traub, Amy Lasley, Valerio Hoyos, Wayne Loescher, Guo-qing Song, Cholani Weebadde. 2011. Building Expertise in Plant Breeding that Focuses on Drought Tolerance in Common Bean. MSU the PBGB mini symposium.
- Song GQ Stability of Transgenes in blueberry cultivar. 2010 (Kalamazo, Michigan, July 25-28). Invited speaker
- Song GQ (2009) Recent advances and opportunities in cherry biotechnology and molecular biology. The 6th International Cherry Symposium, Viña del Mar, Reñaca, V Region, Chile.
- Song GQ, Allison RF, Qi Ch-F, Lang GA, Hancock JF (2009) Transforming Cherry Rootstocks to Obtain Virus-Resistance in Scion Cultivars using RNAi Strategy. The 6th International Cherry Symposium, Viña del Mar, Reñaca, V Region, Chile.
- Song GQ, Sink KC, Callow PW, Baughan R, Hancock JF (2008) Evaluation of a herbicide-resistant trait conferred by the bar gene driven by four distinct promoters in transgenic blueberry plants. World Congress—In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology—Plant. 44(4): 355
- Song GQ, Loescher W., Sink K.C. The celery mannose-6-phosphate reductase gene (M6PR): a mannose-dependent, bifunctional selectable marker for plant transformation. Abstract for Congress on in vitro biology, 2007 (Indiapolis, USA).
- Loescher W., Sabbatini P., Song GQ, Sink K.C., Flore J. Anti-sensing acyclic polyol (mannitol) biosynthesis in celery decreases salt tolerance. Abstract for Plant Biology & Botany Joint Congress, 2007 (Chicago, Illinois, USA).
- Song GQ and Sink K.C. Somaclonal variation and stability of the GUS transgene in somatic embryogenic-derived populations of transgenic celery. Abstract for Congress on in vitro biology, 2006 (Minneapolis, USA).
- Song GQ, Sink K.C., Particka M., B. Zandstra, Production of Herbicide Resistant Blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) Cv. Bluecrop by Agrobacterium-Mediated Transformation of the Bar Gene. Abstract for International Symposium on Biotechnology of Temperate Fruit Crops and Tropical Species. P145, 2005, (Florida USA).
- Song GQ and Sink K.C. Transformation of Cherry: Montmorency (Prunus cerasus L.) and Gisela 6 (Prunus cerasus x P. canescens) Mediated by Agrobacterium Tumefaciens. Abstract for International Symposium on Biotechnology of Temperate Fruit Crops and Tropical Species. P146, 2005, (Florida USA).
- Song GQ and Sink K.C. Transformation of sour cherry Montmorency (Prunus cerasus L.) and sweet cherry rootstock Gisela 6 (Prunus cerasus x P. canescens) mediated by agrobacterium tumefaciens. Abstract for Congress on in vitro biology. P51-A, 2005, (Maryland, USA).
- Song GQ and Sink K.C. Efficient Shoot Regeneration, Transient Expression Studies, and Agrobacterium-mediated Transformation of Blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum L. Abstract for Congress on in vitro biology. P65-A, 2004, (San Francisco, California, USA).
- Song GQ and Sink K.C. Development of efficient plant regeneration systems for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Sour Cherry (Prunus cerasu L.) and Blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) cultivars. Abstract for Congress on in vitro biology. P48-A, 2003, (Portland, USA).
- Nikumaru S, Song GQ, Hamada A, Yamaguchi K, Establishment of high expression system of target protein in a tissue-specific manner in plant. Abstract for 20th Japanese Biotechnology Symposium, 2002 (Tokyo, Japan).
- Ohnishi N, Song GQ, Yamaguchi K. Establishment of high efficiency expression system for foreign target protein in tissue specific on rice tiller. Abstract for 18th Japanese Biotechnology Conference, 2000, P8-5 (Tokyo, Japan).
- Song GQ, Xiao XG, Li Sh H. Cloning and preliminary expression in transgenic plants of MARK’S DISEASE VIRUS B antigen gene. Abstract for the 18th International Genetic Congress 1998. (Beijing, P.R. China).