Dr. John Biernbaum, Professor
August 1, 1985
60% University General
20% Michigan AgBio Research
Ph.D., Horticultural Science, Michigan State University, 1985
M.S., Horticultural Science, The Pennsylvania State University, 1981
B.S., Horticultural Science, North Carolina State University, 1979
Honors and Awards
Michigan Organic Food and Farming Alliance (MOFFA) 2004 Public Service Award
Honorary State Future Farmers of America Degree, 2003
Member of MSU Floriculture Team that received the 2002 John Hannah Award for Program Excellence in Extension
Bedding Plants International 1998 Futura Award for Outstanding Teaching and Research
College of Agri. and Nat. Res. Student Senate Outstanding Academic Advisor 1997
Ohio Florists' Assoc. 1994 and 1996 Alex Laurie Award for Outstanding Research Paper
Professional Plant Growers Association National Publications Award 1992 and 1993
MSU Senior Student Council Outstanding Teaching Faculty Award for 1992
Michigan Floral Association, National Service Award for 1989
Waldman, Kurt, David Conner, John Biernbaum, Michael Hamm and Adam Montri. 2012. Determinants of Hoophouse Profitability: A Case Study of 12 Novice Michigan Farmers. HortTechnology 22(2) 215-223.
Biernbaum, J. 2011. Four Season Farming and Learning. In Fields of Learning: The student farm movement in North America. Ed Laura Sayre and Sean Clark. University Press of KY, 378 pgs.
Nair, A., M. Ngouajio, and J. A. Biernbaum. 2011. Alfalfa-based organic amendment in peat-compost growing medium for organic tomato transplant production. HortScience 46(2):253-259.
Montri, A. and J. Biernbaum. 2009. Management of the soil environment in high tunnels. HortTechnology 19:34-36.
Biernbaum, J.A., Thorp, L. and Ngouajio, M. 2006. Development of a Year-round Student Organic Farm and Organic Farming Curriculum at Michigan State University. HortTechnology 16(3):20-24.
Kelley, Kathleen M., Author Cameron, John A. Biernbaum, and Kenneth L. Poff. 2003. Effect of storage temperature on the quality of edible flowers. Postharvest Biology and Technology 27:341-344.
Kelley, Kathleen M., Bridget K. Behe, John A. Biernbaum, and Kenneth L. Poff. 2002. Combinations of Colors and Species of Containerized Edible Flowers: Effect on Consumer Preferences. HortScience 37(1):218-221.
- MSU Department of Horticulture www.hrt.msu.edu
- MSU Student Organic Farm www.msuorganicfarm.org
- Hoophouse Outreach and Education www.hoophouse.msu.edu
- Center for Regional Food Systems www.foodsystems.msu.edu
- Environmental Studies and RISE Specialization http://rise.natsci.msu.edu/
- Bailey GREENhouse and Urban Farm www.facebook.com/BaileyGREENhouse
- Office of Campus Sustainability www.bespartangreen.msu.edu
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems Specialization http://www.safss.msu.edu/
- Michigan Organic Food and Farming Alliance www.moffa.net
- Michigan Food and Farming Systems www.miffs.org
- Keep Growing Detroit http://detroitagriculture.net/
- MSU AgBioResearch www.agbioresearch.msu.edu
- MSU Extension http://msue.anr.msu.edu/