HRT 812: Laboratory Research Techniques
Dr. Ning Jiang
1066 Bogue St, Room A330
East Lansing, MI 48824
Credits and Offerings
- 2 credits (approximately 1 hour lecture and 3 hour lab each week)
- Fall semester each even year.
- Open to Horticulture students. Permission from the Horticulture department is required for students from other departments.
Demonstration and experience of various research techniques in horticulture. To be taught by multiple instructors.
To allow graduate students to be familiar with research techniques in horticulture and to promote interaction between graduate students and faculty members
- Green roof technology
- Plant growth in controlled environment
- Seed germination, dormancy, and viability assessment
- Methods for assessing temperature stress
- Soil quality assessment
- Photosynthetic gas exchange
- Measurement of water potential
- Spectrometry, gas chromatography (GC), mass spectrum, HPLC , and Olfactometry
- DNA and RNA extraction
- Genotyping with diagnostic markers
- Plant transformation
- Basic sequence analysis techniques