HRT 253: Compost Production and Use
Dr. John Biernbaum (lead)
1066 Bogue Street, Room A440-C
East Lansing, MI 48824-1325
Credits and Offerings
- 1 credit
- Spring semester of every year
- Demonstrate an understanding of the value of composting as a soil quality and fertility management process and compost as a soil amendment product for the home and farm.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the biological compost process and how it is managed.
- Describe a wide variety of composting methods that can be used to meet many different needs over a wide range of production scales and time frames.
- Describe a variety of methods to use compost in horticultural cropping, container production, and landscape maintenance systems.
- Participate in making a compost pile or visit a farm where compost is made or used.
- Visit the SOF Wormhouse and MSU South Campus Compost Facility or complete the alternative activity
- Compost C:N and mix calculations
- Compost Use calculations